Rookie Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasitim

Reaction score
On Monday we brewed a 11 gallon batch of a pale malt Mosaic smash.

I created a 2L starter with 1 vial of WPL 001. I injected O2 into it for 1.5 minutes and put it on a stir plate for 18 hours.
It settled out nicely and looked like there was quite a bit more yeast than I started with.

We whirlpooled and whirfloc'd and put 11 gallons of 68 degree wort in a temp controlled plastic conical.

After an hour or so I dumped a quart of trub and pitched the yeast.

Today, Thursday, tried to take a gravity reading. Nice clean yeast kept coming out the racking port. The photo shows a half gallon jug with some yeast that still seems pretty active. It also filled up my hydrometer tube twice and had to let it all settle down until I had enough beer to test. It came out at 1.012 from an OG of 1.051. Never got just beer from the port.

I'm new to all of this, but, it seems like a ton of yeast. Doesn't even seem to be anything worth rinsing so I'm thinking I just leave it in the frig under the beer until next brew day within a week.

Comments appreciated on the process and the amount of yeast. It's over 4" deep after settling for 2 hours.

yeast1-16-14.jpg

Make sure you use a yeast calculator so you don't end up over pitching. If I remember my Yeast book correctly, you need about 1 cup of healthy yeast per 5 gal batch.

Is this a lot of yeast though? I'm sure I can still pull more.

Back