Rookie in Massachusetts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinHorton

Reaction score
Cheers All!

The day grows closer.

After months on literary research and years of liquid research, I feel I am ready to embark on what could be the most rewarding journey yet.

My desire to brew came when I was introduced to the lovely world of Microbrews. Since then I have made my best efforts to stay away from the 3 headed corporate beer giant. 11 months ago, for my birthday, my ex's mother gave me "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Vol 3 by Charlie Papazian". This book did a good job of showing me that if I was pasionate enough, I too could join the many in the world of Home Brewing.

On Friday I purchased the following from http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing

Deluxe Beer Starter Kit w/ 2 Glass Carboys
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/deluxe-beer-starter-kit.html

Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/extra-pale-ale-extract-kit-2.html

Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract Kit
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit-2.html

And 3 cases of 22oz Amber Bottles with a ton of caps

I spent a little over a month researching starter kits, and I found Northern Brewer through HBT's Vendor page. I went with the Deluxe Kit, because from what I was reading a lot of customers upgrade to the Deluxe after a few batches with the lower level kits. Plus, from what I have been reading (lurking this forum and other literature), I am really interested in the advantages of double fermenting.

Well that's a little bit about me, I'm hoping to have my kit by Friday and it's going to make for a fun weekend. Im sure I'll have plenty of questions, but I take comfort in knowing I am amongst many who share a desire for the perfect brew.

Welcome to the obsession, from the far end of the state.

The most important lesson from Papa Charlie's book? RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a homebrew). Northern Brewer's my favorite online supplier, too.

So, does your ex's mother STILL gives you presents, is she trying her best to keep you in the fold? ;)

I love how the first reply I get in HBT comes with a large Pats avatar haha.

Yeah, Charlie did a good job pounding that phrase in my head, so there must be some importance behind it.

Actually Yes!, she still does. No complaints on this end.

Welcome to the obsession of home brewing... :D

Just remember, racking to secondary is about as old as the book you read (~2003)... Read up on the updated methods posted here (long primary, no secondary for most brews)... Also remember that yeast works at it's own pace, not to a schedule set by the person who put the kit together...

I would also suggest brewing for your own enjoyment. Make what YOU want to make/drink, at least initially. Chances are, if there's a commercial brew out there, you can find a clone recipe for it. Cut your teeth on those, since you'll have a good idea what it should end up tasting like. You can also find a lot of really solid recipes posted here... You can also tweak them to fit what you like rather easily... Such as picking a different hop to use. Or maybe less of one specialty grain and more of another...

Personally, when I started off (with extract kits of course) I went the route of getting unhopped extract. I liked the results since I could pick the hops added to the brew. Going that route lets you personalize even a kit to be what YOU want... Looks like you're already going down that path. :D From that Pale Ale sheet, I would say skip the secondary fermentation and just go with 2-4 weeks on the yeast cake. It will clear up just fine sitting on the yeast. In fact, it will probably come out tasting even better if you leave it on the cake... Did you opt for the liquid yeast, or dry? I like the Wyeast activator packs (when I'm not washing their yeast strains from previous batches :D)... If you ferment with Wyeast 1056 and have the wort temp in the 60-66F range, you'll get mild citrus notes in it... That should work well with the Cascade hops...

Since you already have bottles, with caps, look at the Grolsch bottles too... I use those since it means no caps to crimp, or to toss out and keep buying. Every 5-6 batches I'll probably need to replace the gaskets on the caps, but that's cheap... Also really easy to use...

Depending on how much you're looking to research for a brew (before you make it), I would suggest looking at the info on the yeast before you start that batch. I find that's a rather big help, especially the first time I use a strain of yeast.

One of the cheapest, and more helpful items I picked up since I started brewing was Beer Smith... Really helps with figuring out what you're going to brew. Plus, you can even get it to print out a nice brew sheet (with how much water you'll need, what to do at what point, etc)... One of the best $21 I've spent so far...

If you're up for it, on 2/26 there's a brew day happening at Strange Brew in Marlborough (right on rt. 20)... I'll be there with a brew-bud making up a honey cream ale... There will be plenty of others brewing there too... Come on out if you're able... It's set to run from about 11am-7pm...

Thank you for all of the above.

For the Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract Kit, I purchased Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast
For the Extra Pale Ale, I purchased Safe Ale US-05 Ale Yeast

I chose the dry yeast, because I feel I should respect, and understand the basics. I'm not chasing the pefect batch, just want to do my best to make that first batch a damn good brew.

Deffinately interested in looking at Beer Smith, thank you.

Congrats on your new journey, Justin!

What ever you decide to do with your new hobby (extract, extract w/grain, or all grain), I'm sure you're going to enjoy it :)

Just use good yeast and you should do fine... There's really not much difference in the top yeast labs, for quality. Some offer different strains of yeasts, but most cover the same ranges.

As far as the basics and using dry yeast... Depending on your OG, you'll want to learn to make a yeast starter... You could hit that mark sooner with liquid than with dry yeasts (due to how many cells are in the packages)... Knowing how to make a good starter is an important item, I feel. But, as a new home brewer, you're probably not brewing anything big enough (yet) to actually need a starter.

You can try Beer Smith out for 21 days before deciding to buy it... Check out the other software options available. Pick the one that does what you want (and more so you can use the additional stuff later) and you can navigate without struggling (I picked up Beer Smith's interface fast, some have had issues with it)...

Well, dry yeast you don't need a starter (assuming that you're using a good dry yeast; US-05 is a great, clean yeast). Lots of smart people say that you don't really WANT to make a starter for dry yeast, for some technical reason that I don't understand. Me, I usually pitch a packet of US-05 and usually have an active fermentation within 12 hours or so.

Using a starter all depends on the OG of the brew (and number of yeast cells in a packet/package/slurry)... High enough OG you'll need to make a starter even for dry yeast... :D

See, I *know* there was something about dry yeast where making a starter wasn't really a good idea, and it wasn't just "the pitch count is already high." Something I didn't understand about the cell walls or something.

In any case, with a high enough OG, what I do with dry yeast?

Pitch two packets. Cheap enough.

See, I *know* there was something about dry yeast where making a starter wasn't really a good idea, and it wasn't just "the pitch count is already high." Something I didn't understand about the cell walls or something.

In any case, with a high enough OG, what I do with dry yeast?

Pitch two packets. Cheap enough.

I'd really like to see where it's stated that using a starter for dry yeast is a BAD idea... Not that it's going to matter too much to me, since I'm using liquid yeasts (Wyeast activator packs)... With dry yeast, if you use a starter, you're helping them get a jump start on things. As I mentioned, go to use them in a high enough OG wort, and you'll want them already going (dumping in more packets just seems foolish to me, when you can make a cheap starter and get more living cells that can handle the wort better)...

I'm also harvesting yeast, so I have more than enough yeast cells to pitch into the wort...

Try comparing how much yeast you'll need via the Mr. Malty site.. For a wort with an OG of 1.100 you'll need almost 4 packets of dry yeast... I only need 83-92ml of liquid slurry (repitch)... I have at least that in each jar I collect...

I know some people love to use dry yeast, which is great for them. Personally, I've been getting solid brews with the liquid yeast. Plus, I like the activator pack, since you know if the yeast is viable without having to make a starter (unlike White Labs yeast)...

Basically, it comes down to using what you like to use, and what works well/best for you... I'm not going to say buying liquid is better than dry, it's just different... Personally, I also like using the liquid (for my beers) since I have a lot to select from, and can usually get really good info on the yeast before buying it. I use dry yeast (Lalvin Labs) for my meads and if I'm fermenting something that still has more to go, and the beer yeast has done all it can (so over ~12% ABV)...

I'm going to use a small starter to get the yeast for my hard lemonade going. That's a dry yeast packet, but with how high the OG of the lemonade is expected to be, it makes sense to use a starter (means I only need to use one $2 packet of yeast)...

Kit should be in tomorrow, and I am so anxious. I know that patience plays a crucial role in homebrewing, but impatience can't hurt as I await my kit. My brew room is spotless and ready to go. Since I have 2 carboys coming I am thinking of Single Fermenting my Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit in one, and tryinig EdWort's Apfelwein in the second. I hope this excitement never fades.

Good luck with the brewing Justin! If you're like me the excitement will not fade, at least it hasn't in 16 years!

Single fermenting and trying a second brew sounds like a good idea, but I feel I have to say, don't discount using a secondary before you try it. I've been brewing for 16 years and have done secondaries with all but 3 of my beers. and 2 of those three ended up no good. I know there are lots of folks who will tell you all the evils of secondary, and I admit it is not done without risk, but as with everything a little caution in cleaning is all that's needed.

Which ever way you go, single or 2-stage, I'm glad you've taken the plunge to join the ranks of the the brewers.

Welcome aboard :mug:

Welcome from North Andover.

By the way, the manufacturers of dry yeast recommend rehydration or pitching dry, and do not recommend making a starter. The yeast was dried with when it already had adequate food reserves, and the cell count is high enough for all but the high-gravity brews, so it is ready to go. If you need a higher cell count, pitch another packet.

Liquid yeast needs to build up food reserves. When you smack the smack pack, the nutrient liquid provides this to the yeast. A starter is used to allow the yeast to reproduce such that you have an adequate cell count.

Happy brewing.

So, at 9am I get an email that my Deluxe Starter Kit, 2 recipe kits, and 3 cases of 22oz bottles have been delieverd. Much to my supprise a signature was not required, so the $300 dollar package was placed in the hallway of my tenemant house. I was unable to leave work until 11:30am so I rushed home and there was no package.

The people at Northern Brewer were helpful and are looking into it. Tough hit to take though

Yeah it does. Do you know if Northern Brewer has labels on their boxes? Just wondering if someone saw some packages with "Brewer" on it and santched it up.

So long story short, I received my kit. Saturday was brewing day, invited over a friend and got to work. Overall it went really well and was a lot of fun. Everything went according to plan which was kinda scary. Below is my first "beer fetus". The Primary is kept in the closet and it only looks bright because I took the pic. Hoping that when I get home I will see an active airlock.

2_26_11.jpg

Depending on the yeast, and such, you should at least see signs of life/activity in the wort within a few hours (2-12) with airlock activity within 72 hours from pitching... Generally speaking, depending on my OG, I get activity in the airlock in under 24 hours from when I pitch the yeast/starter in... Most of the time, I have activity (post-lag) in under 12 hours...

Just watch the temp the wort is fermenting at... Depending on the yeast, you might want to warm/cool it a bit... If the closet has no air flow going into it, you might want to crack the door open to allow warm air out of the closet (to help it ferment in the desired range)...

Always remember: RDWHAHB... As well as let the yeast do what it needs to do to give you really good/great beer to drink later... Patience on your part will be rewarded. :D

Also, don't worry if the wort doesn't look like what you expected the finish beer to look like... Chances are, it won't for some time... Typically, it won't look close to the color you think (except in dark brews) until the yeast has done all it's work and has flocculated, along with anything else that is going to settle out... You'll have a decent idea of what it will look like in the glass after 2-3 weeks when you pull your first hydrometer sample...

Thanks!

I am using Safeale US-05 Ale Yeast, and my OG was 1.040. As you can see, I have little Yeast islands on my wort. I can see "sediment" falling down but there is a part of me that is nervous about the clumps. But it's pretty much out of my hands now. "Brewers make wort, Yeast makes beer." Im at work now and don't have access to my "Brew Day" notes, when I left the fermentor was sitting at 72degrees which seems to be pretty good for that particular yeast.

You're post-lag then, and things are rocking inside there. If the airlock isn't moving yet, it's either not sealing up fully, or there's just not enough gas being produced to need to vent any.

I've not used that yeast, so I don't know how it's cycle goes. Check on it when you get home and see how it's doing...

Personally, the first time I use a yeast strain, I would install a blow-off tube. Just because I've had times where it was needed. Granted, I've not had a volcano of foam all over the place (just through the airlock) yet... I felt safer with the tube, knowing it would prevent a mess.. With yesterday's brewing, we used fermcap... Hoping that it will work as people say, and make a blow-off tube unnecessary for my fermentation... I'm using a 5 gallon corny keg as a primary with this brew (it's what I have that can be transported easily). It will still use the airlock, of course, but I'll just be watching things closely for the first 24-36 hours of fermentation... That way, if I do need to install a tube, I can (I have enough on hand to do it fast)...

2_27_11b.jpg

So this is how it's looking 18hrs later!! This is exactly what I wanted to see when I got home. It's pumping a bubble through the airlock every second. This must be what it's like when people's kids take their first step.

Since I don't have any kids, I wouldn't really know how it compares. BUT, I do love it when a brew starts fermenting... Something very rewarding about when your brew starts burping and farting at you... Such wonderful sounds and movements that mean billions of little helpers are going to work converting sugars into alcohol for you to enjoy later... Once you have a taste of your first home brew, you're prone to be hooked on brewing...

Way to go on your first brew day! Looks like a success.

Now comes the hard part ... waiting until it is ready to drink without rushing the process. :D

Remember, be strong, you can do this.

Thanks for the support!

Ya, that will be tough but I'm realize the importance of patience. Ill have to limit myself to drinking my OG samples when racking haha. Has anyone ever woke up snuggling their Fermentor? I was a few degrees colder than I wanted it to be, so layed on my floor put a blanket around it, and woke up 4hrs later with the desired temp. I'm not ashamed by any means haha.

No shame in doing what it takes to get your wort to ferment at the temp range you want... As long as you didn't cuddle with it too much... :drunk:

You'll have to let us know how it comes out in the end... Just remember, long primary, no secondary, give it time to taste right, then bottle condition with the normal parameters as best you can... This time of year, it can be tough getting it to 70F for bottle carbonating... Still, within a few degrees should be good.

I'll also say that if you let it chill in the fridge (once bottle carbonation is complete) for at least 3-4 days (4+ being preferred) it's much clearer, and the trub gets compacted to the bottom nicely... :D Pour into a room temp glass and enjoy...

When I switched to clear Better Bottles, brewing was much more satisfying because I could see the process unfold, rather than sneal a peek under the lid if the air lock showed no activity (I know I should use a hydrometer..blah blah)

It is kind of cool seeing how hard those yeast work..and they will leave you a nice present in about 1 week, when the action slows down (maybe sooner with s-05)

Back