Ron Jeffries Belgian Blonde (BLAM) herbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I'm asking because I brewed it last week using the ingredients I could get from LHBS: Belg pils, US wheat malt, and fuggles. I'm sure it will turn out fine, but what I want some feedback on is the amount of lemongrass and herbs he suggested for the brew.

I threw in measured amounts into a hop sock at right before flameout, but for the life of me couldn't detect a single bit of citrus aroma. I'm thinking at least double, if not the full 1 barrel amount would be more appropriate for a 5g batch. I do think I'd like to brew it again soon.

I'm going to bump this with an update on my second batch.

I minced an entire stalk of lemongrass and put in about 4x the amount of lemon balm (no verbena), plus the zest from one lemon then made a tea out it it and added to the BK after flameout.

It's not done fermenting, but I also don't think the citrus aroma will come through at all. There was very little in the tea to begin with, so I'm not hopeful.

The beer is good, but I don't think this recipe works as intended.

I'm unfamiliar with the recipe/beer you're referencing. However I've got a thing for cooking Thai cuisine. Lemongrass needs to be cooked to pull out as much flavor from it as possible. The outer husks/rounds on lemongrass have virtually no flavor, all the goodness is in the tender-green stuff inside. The prepared tube form of lemongrass is a fantastic product that you might consider using as it's pre-eviscerated/pulverized and you just squeeze it out of the tube for use. There are refrences online for how much to used compared to inches of lemongrass stalk. The tube stuff is a bit more potent.

MVKTR2 said:
I'm unfamiliar with the recipe/beer you're referencing. However I've got a thing for cooking Thai cuisine. Lemongrass needs to be cooked to pull out as much flavor from it as possible. The outer husks/rounds on lemongrass have virtually no flavor, all the goodness is in the tender-green stuff inside. The prepared tube form of lemongrass is a fantastic product that you might consider using as it's pre-eviscerated/pulverized and you just squeeze it out of the tube for use. There are refrences online for how much to used compared to inches of lemongrass stalk. The tube stuff is a bit more potent.

I didn't know that about the tube or the cooking. I simply added the finely chopped bits right after I turned the pot off from a boil. Maybe I'll experiment t again.:)

Latest posts

Back