Rolled Oats and the potential?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudland

Reaction score
Hi all,

I searched and, unless I'm missed it, can't seem to find an ingredient profile for rolled oats in Beersmith2.

I've read they should be boiled in 2x the water the instructions on the container call for, before mash.

As for potential.. that is 1lb of grain in 1 gal of water?
So if I did a test mash and measure the SG, that should give me the potential to put in the ingredient profile?

Can I just add a flaked oat to my recipe but boil the rolled oats before the mash and be close?

Thanks

Screenshot from 2015-08-20 21:06:38.png

You do not need to boil rolled oats. The rolling process generates enough heat to geletanize the starches. Just toss them in the mash. No need to mill either. Now, cut oats is a different situation.

I don't have my computer on with all my information, but oats has similar potential to base grain. I would estimate a potential of 1.036.

I have BS1, and they are in there, so they should be in BS2. Not sure of the name (again it is on my computer, not my tablet), maybe it is flaked oats.

Thanks Calder! Yup, flaked oats are in BS2. I guess I could of just asked if they were the same thing..... that was a "duh" moment on my part! Thank you!

There are different kinds of rolled oats. You want "quick oats" which are the gelatinized kind. Others like "regular rolled oats" or "thick rolled oats" are not pre gelatinized.

Back