Rogue chocolate porter clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcj2

Reaction score
I have been quite interested in trying to incorporate coffee into beer, and I think this would be a good kit to try this with. What do you guys think? Also if I were to do this how would you add the coffee any suggestions and how much in a 5 gallon batch.

Do you mean Rogue Mocha Porter? If so, there's no actual coffee in it. There are some great clones out there, most notably from AHBS. I've made it twice, and it is a very good recipe.

Yes my mistake and I got the clone but thought it would be interesting to add coffee into it, what are your thoughts? Also how would one go about adding coffee to there beer?

There are plenty of theories out there. A simple search for "coffee" will give you more conflicting information that anyone could ever use.

My advice: steep 12oz coarse-ground coffee in a gallon of room temp water for 12 hours. Strain, then add to taste in secondary or at packaging time. The net result will be about 1/2 gallon of cold-steeped coffee; you probably won't need all of it.

This is the way I make iced coffee all summer.

Forgot to post back but I ended up using roughly 10 ounces of coffee in the beer and next time i would probably put just a bit less maybe 6 ounces or so but the beer turned out great. Just next time if i were to do it again i'd prefer to have less of a coffee flavor more of just a hint of the flavor. By far probably the best beer i have brewed so far! It was my first homebrew that I put in my kegerator.

longcj2 said:
Forgot to post back but I ended up using roughly 10 ounces of coffee in the beer and next time i would probably put just a bit less maybe 6 ounces or so but the beer turned out great. Just next time if i were to do it again i'd prefer to have less of a coffee flavor more of just a hint of the flavor. By far probably the best beer i have brewed so far! It was my first homebrew that I put in my kegerator.

Just to clarify, did you put 10 oz of coffee beans into some water and cold steep, and then add that into the beer? Or did you add 10 oz of liquid coffee (and how did you make that?) to the beer? I'm looking to add some coffee to a chocolate stout I have coming up and am wondering the best way to do it also... Thanks!

I steeped iced coffee and just racked in the secondary and then racked the beer on top of it. Ten ounces seemed to be a pretty good amount if you want a a fairly strong coffee flavor but I also used Starbucks coffee so other coffee you might need a higher volume. If you have any other questions just let me know. But the rogue mocha porter clone is highly recommended!

Thanks... I live in Austin, so have been using only AHS kits so far... Pretty happy with the results. I have their double chocolate stout ready to go for my next brew, but want t add some coffee to the secondary, and have heard that cold steeping is the way to go... But just trying to figure out the optimal amount to impart good coffee flavor/aroma without it being overpowering...

Yeah I understand I was feeling interested in incorporating coffee cold steeping is the way to go if you want a pretty decent coffee flavor 10 ounces isn't too overpowering I'm pretty happy with it.

Latest posts

Back