Roggenbier_ Tips? Techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss75

Reaction score
I'm doing a Roggenbier in a couple of weeks. My set up consists of the 5 gallon coolers with the false bottom and I batch sparge (I know fly sparging is cooler but I can't spend any more money except on ingredients for a month or two).
So I figured I would go a little heavy on the rice hulls, but does anyone else have any suggestions? This is my first AG that could have any foreseeable complications.

I just kegged my Roggenbier from NB this morning. I double crush with a Barley Crusher and used 1/2 lb of rice hulls. I did not have any problems. It sure tasted good going into the keg, can't wait until it is forced carbed.

Make sure you do a mashout to get the grain temp up before sparging. Should help with the sparge. I had to put a SS scouring pad under my false bottom and around the drain tube to get the darn thing to flow.

Just did the one from BYO...it's down to 1.016 after a week in primary and it tastes good. DEFINITELY use rice hulls. I didn't get a stuck sparge, but the runoff was very slow despite doing a mashout. Good luck

Back