Roeselare Smack Pack - How Long after Smacking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning on brewing a dark sour tomorrow night. Was originally going to make a starter of Roeselare to pitch into 1.066 wort. Upon further reading I'm getting conflicting info on making a starter with this blend as it would throw of the proportions of bugs to yeast. Mad Fermentationist seems to make a starter, JZ and Wyeast say not to. I had smacked the pack in anticipation of making a starter.

Should I:

1. Make a Roeselare starter? Anyone done this with good results?

2. Go back to the homebrew store again and get more Roeselare? (trying to avoid another trip)

3. Pitch another Sacch strain with the Roeselare? I have 4.5 month second generation English yeast that I washed and could make a starter or I guess I could go get either some dry yeast or liquid yeast.

Also, having smacked the Roeselare pack 12 hours ago should I leave it out or refrigerate it if I don't make a starter with it?

I'd leave the snack pack at ambient and just pitch as is tomorrow night.

That said, making a small starter tonight or first thing in the morning would get them active for pitching tomorrow night. I've never used a starter with Roeselare... of course that's only been twice now.

I would not make a starter as it will preferentially grow the sacc yeast. I think it will lead to slower souring of your wort.

Just pitch what you have. No need to get more. No need to add additional sacc. You want a slow start. This allows the bugs to grow before the sacc starts creating alcohol.

To fridge or not to fridge for the next 24 hours? I don't think it will make any difference. Trying to put myself in your position ....... I think I'd leave it out.

Thanks for the advice. That's the direction I was leaning but was concerned about under pitching

Under pitching would be my preference with this strain. In fact, whenever I use it again, I might purposely look for an older package rather than the freshest one the hbc has.

Under pitching would be my preference with this strain. In fact, whenever I use it again, I might purposely look for an older package rather than the freshest one the hbc has.

This makes me feel better about the package I just pitched yesterday with a date of 5/6/14. Cheers!

Back