Roeselare in high OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunt1828

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a Westvleteren 12 clone (OG = 1.090) with 5 gallons getting the WLP530/Wyeast 3787 and the other 5 getting soured. I'm planning to use Wyeast Roeselare for the sour, and I read that if you want it to be sour in a reasonable amount of time (12-18mos?) you should pitch Roeselare as primary rather than a secondary strain(s)

My question is, will it be able to ferment that high gravity down to 1.015-1.020 before the PH drops too low for the sacc to continue on? I'm guessing that it won't, so I think my plan will be to pitch the clean yeast into both, then once the gravity gets closer to 1.050 toss in the Roes.

My second question is, if I pitch Roes. as primary yeast, should I avoid oxygenating?

I've never used Roeselare (or any other souring yeast for that matter) so I'm not sure what to expect. I'd love any suggestions.

Thanks!

Subbing. I'm curious as well. My initial thought is that the souring bugs would work more slowly than the Sacch, so it would have time to finish before the pH dropped any considerable amount. I also think it's best not to aerate, but I could be wrong.

The bugs and Brett
might struggle in the higher alcohol environment. Personally, on a high OG beer, I'd pitch it all at the same time and let it roll. The sacc will take off, and the bacteria will too a but behind the sacc. Do you keg? You can always cold crash when you're satisfied with sourness (although this doesn't give the Brett time), or let it rip and blend it with some fresh beer, if it gets out of whack. I just did that with a sour stout. I brewed one gallon of clean beer for blending and it came out nice.

Back