roeselare grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownrice

Reaction score
Not really a flanders red, but something along those lines. Partial mash.

3 lbs wheat LME
2 lbs amber DME
1.5 lbs Munich 10L
1.0 lb special B
0.75 lbs flaked barley

mash high, hop low, ferment in low 60's.

ferment on 2nd gen roeselare yeast cake + fresh S-05 for 6 months,
this summer transfer onto a few lbs of cherries.

thoughts?

It might be a little dark with the lb of special B. But will be delicious, especially with the cherries. make sure you go with tart or montmorency cherries.
cut the special B down and replace with a lower crystal malt and/or add in some flaked maize.
should sour up much quicker since its 2nd generation. let it go a few days before pitching the s-05 or dont use it at all. a full packet will be overkill too.

Thx for the reply!

1) TBH i lied- the lb is a mix of special b, crystal 120, and crystal 90. I can't change it, so I'm just gonna go with it.

2) the flaked maize, it's traditional, but what does it really add? I'm not opposed, but brewing tomorrow and not excited about an emergency trip to the LHBS

3) I'd love to leave out the S-05 and save it for another batch. I'm pretty sure the sacch is all dead on this yeast cake; should I just leave it out?

i think the maize adds some dextrins for the brett and bugs to eat. i wouldnt worry about it too much, 2nd generation tends to be more potent.
you could wait 3 days to see if you get a regular krausen, if you do, they aren't dead. if you get nothing, maybe they are. pitch the s-05 and you gave the brett and bugs a head start. win win!

Do you think that six months is long enough for a second generation Roeselare?

No. I believe the label says it takes 18 months to develop completely. Last batch of sour I used roeselare as the primary yeast, I only let it sit for six months. Needs longer.

Do you think it would do ok aging from month 6 to 18 in the bottle?

Maybe, but monitor gravity before bottling. When you think gravity has been stable for a month, give it another month in the carboy.

Personally, even then, I'd prime low and use thick glass bottles.

Back