RODI water help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe

Reaction score
Im going to jump into my first all grain batch very soon here. I am just figuring out the details before hand and need some help with this. My roommate and I both own saltwater reef tanks so we always have about 40 gallons of reverse osmosis de ionized water on hand. Its a 5 stage filter system and always has a TDS reading of zero. So i figure the easiest thing is to build up from that water instead of adjusting the tap water.

Was gonna make an APA and am using the ez water calculator. Do I just need to stay in the recommended ranges or should I adjust differently for style. Planning on using 3g of gypsum, 6g of calc chloride, and 4g of epsom salt. Is this a good plan then or not.

Thanks

Le6nHmZ.jpg

Edit: forgot to ad picture

Maybe add a little acid to get the estimate closer to 5.4. I think hoppy beers are better at 5.4.

A room temperature mash pH of 5.1 does produce a poor beer. I've unfortunately experienced that first hand. A good brewer will keep the room temperature pH closer to 5.4 in most cases. The beer will be better for it.

So i should be set if I buy some phosphoric acid and add the appropriate amount to get the ph close to 5.4 as possible?

Thanks for the replies

You can do that or you can add 2% sauermalz. Assuming you have good pH meter and know how to read it the best thing to do would be to take a pound of the grist, add the amount of water you intend to use per pound, heat to strike water temperature, mix with the grain and measure the mash pH. Then add, in very small increments, the amount of acid it takes to get the mix to the desired pH (~5.4 - 5.5). Scale that amount up to the total mash size and add that to the water on brew day. Check mash pH again. If too high add a bit (and that really means a bit). If you undershoot add a little baking soda (and that also means a little).

mabrungard said:
A room temperature mash pH of 5.1 does produce a poor beer. I've unfortunately experienced that first hand. A good brewer will keep the room temperature pH closer to 5.4 in most cases. The beer will be better for it.

If your beer is crap, don't blame it on your mash ph. 5.1 has served me and professional brewers I know well for decades.

Latest posts

Back