Robust Black Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thethirstyweasel

Reaction score
Still in the planning stage:
59% Pale Ale Malt
12% Aromatic Malt
12% Med British Crystal 68L
6% Chocolate Malt
6% Black Patent
6% Flaked Barley

I'm thinking of going with Target hops not too much bitterness from the hops maybe 30-35 IBUS

I'll be using WY1318 London Ale III probably mash at 156-158F

What do you think?
:mug:
Weez

That will make a robust porter, theres nothing much wrong with it. Personally, im not convinced flaked barley increases body/mouthfeel/head retention, I think its just an adjunct that lightens malt flavor, and i wouldnt use it. People swear otherwise though, so ymmv. Im not a fan of munich/aromatic in a porter, and tend to use more brown or toasted malts instead, but plenty of people go that route, and it says you have a brown porter on deck in your siggy, so yeah, i think its going to be solid.

I'm with giraffe :D I'd replace aromatic malt with brown malt and check if after that as much patent malt is needed to reach SRM. Looks fairly solid but I'm not a fan of large amounts of aromatic malt.

What OG and IBU? I usually aim to 0.8-1.0 IBU to OG which is a bit higher than what you seem to aim for. 1.055 and 45IBU would be ok for me but I like beer on the bitter end.

Btw, crystal malt and brown malt definitively increase body and have plenty of flavour.

Thanks for the comments, now I'm a big fan of the flaked barley so its staying, I guess each to their own, but nothing I mean nothing creates a long thick lasting head on beer like flaked barley in my experience. I am also a big fan of aromatic but this might not be the right place here, I love brown malt and may substitute that and back off a bit on the patent. I'm not going for a lot of hop bitterness or flavor on this I'm looking on the low end on OG ~ 1.050 30 IBUs probably. No roasted barley in black porter right, that's strictly stout agreed?
weez

There are porters with roast barley, as there are many stouts that use all black patent. But black malt is much more common in a porter, and unless you have a reason to do otherwise, use that.

Thanks for the comments, now I'm a big fan of the flaked barley so its staying, I guess each to their own, but nothing I mean nothing creates a long thick lasting head on beer like flaked barley in my experience. I am also a big fan of aromatic but this might not be the right place here, I love brown malt and may substitute that and back off a bit on the patent. I'm not going for a lot of hop bitterness or flavor on this I'm looking on the low end on OG ~ 1.050 30 IBUs probably. No roasted barley in black porter right, that's strictly stout agreed?
weez

I'd put the aromatic in the back seat and the brown in the drivers'. Patent is great because it gives plenty of colour in low doses without much flavour contribution. I often use around 5SRM worth in porters and it just complements the Brown malt very well.

I adore Robust Porters.

I would recommend you reserve some, and do oak, fruit, bourbon, or the like.

I was just thinking earlier tonight, this may be the most versatile blending beer style.

Enjoy.

Brewed yesterday original recipe with the aromatic malt. Gravity was a bit low 1.044, mashed @ 158F for 60 min. Ended up using magnum hops 13.2% AA and hopped for about 45 IBUS

Back