Robobrew is now for sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
Williams Brewing has the Robobrew for sale on it's website. It looks the same as the Grainfather, only the cost is half, at 500 dollars.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects the price and sales volume of The Grainfather...

Im going to have to keep an eye on that. I was thinking about getting the mash and boil but the Robobrew seems like a better value for a little bit more $.
I had seen the Robobrew advertised in the last More Beer catalog I got but it said coming in the spring. They have it listed at $399 in the catalog but I just checked their website and they don't have it listed yet.

Scratch that- I think the one MoreBeer has in the catalog is the one without the pump. I didn't realize there were 2 different types until I watched the video on Williams brewing

Seems like a great product, if you watch the videos and improvements the've made. Except, and the grainfather shares this, the low power(1500 watts?). For the price, however, you can easily add a heat stick for the boil to reduce time to boil, like the cool ones Bobby sells.

I gave it a look. There is not much to see on the website. A few pictures and minimal description. First impression is that it doesn't look nearly as well engineered as the Grainfather. So half the cost doesn't surprise.

I gave it a look. There is not much to see on the website. A few pictures and minimal description. First impression is that it doesn't look nearly as well engineered as the Grainfather. So half the cost doesn't surprise.

There is a side by side comparison on youtube. Type in: Robobrew versus The Grainfather.

Might be worth a look if you are interested. I will be waiting for a few reviews before I decide anything, but at half the price...

After looking at the videos, which show much more than on Williams Brewing website the units look very similar. I didn't take time to look at the ones on the website yesterday.

The big difference it the Robobrew has the pump and electronics inside the bottom. One thing I just thought of is, what that happens inside there with the elements on? Does it get really hot for the electronics and pump?

The Grainfather controller seems to give a lot more features. Like step mashing. I didn't see that on the Robobrew videos.

It is a little disappointing that Robobrew doesn't spend just a little more and supply hoses with their immersion chiller.

I will be watching for reviews.

The Grainfather controller seems to give a lot more features. Like step mashing. I didn't see that on the Robobrew videos.

You can easily do manual step mashing with the Robobrew, just can't do pre-programmed steps.

Brew on :mug:

You can easily do manual step mashing with the Robobrew, just can't do pre-programmed steps.

Well, that was what I was pointing out. The simple controller vs the programmable one.

It mostly comes down to cost vs features and whether you need or want those features.

Well, that was what I was pointing out. The simple controller vs the programmable one.

It mostly comes down to cost vs features and whether you need or want those features.

Exactly. If you do mostly single infusion mashes, then programmable steps won't be worth much to you. If you do lots of step mashing, then programmability, will likely be more appealing (i.e. worth spending more for.) Cost vs. feature trade offs are almost everywhere when discussing brewing equipment.

I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that step mashing wasn't possible with the Robobrew.

Williams Brewing has the Robobrew for sale on it's website. It looks the same as the Grainfather, only the cost is half, at 500 dollars.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects the price and sales volume of The Grainfather...

Is this a newer version of the one they have been selling since january? If not theres like a dozen threads on this already with a lot of info.
They are also on ebay they come with or without pumps I believe and some people have already swapped controllers with the grainfather units..

Exactly. If you do mostly single infusion mashes, then programmable steps won't be worth much to you. If you do lots of step mashing, then programmability, will likely be more appealing (i.e. worth spending more for.) Cost vs. feature trade offs are almost everywhere when discussing brewing equipment.

I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that step mashing wasn't possible with the Robobrew.

Then theres the bigger question of whether step mashing even provides any benefit with todays malts...

hey gents. I think I'm diving into all grain with this set up with the pump.

Questions about the vorlauf.. do you think that the metal pipe/lautertun will catch all of the grain after the recirculation?
Any worries if small amounts of grain get into the boil? Is there a smart way to filter them before the boil?

also, how can i tell if the pump is rated to work at boiling temps? I'd like to recirculate while chilling if the set up can do it.

thanks.

It should do a fair job of containing the grain, a little getting into the boil isn't a problem, and you could use a WilserBag if you're worried about it or just want to make cleanup easier.

The reviews will be interesting to see. To me the price seems to good to be true so I'm skeptical but the brewer in me wants it since I was about to pull the trigger on a $350 kettle.

The reviews will be interesting to see. To me the price seems to good to be true so I'm skeptical but the brewer in me wants it since I was about to pull the trigger on a $350 kettle.

Price is really pretty realistic..
They start with a hot water urn, similiar to the mash and boil found here for under $100 from the manufacturer. https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...3122.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.28.2G3Iak with two elements. Add an inexpensive plastic pump and ic chiller.... The manufacturer who completes them and distributes them likely has about $150-200 in each realistically.

there are lots of different ones on alibaba and the actual robobrew used to be up there as well (as all chinese keg king products are) but the link I bookmarked no longer works.

heres a similiar one.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...8363.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.20.6kBclp

I know some people get annoyed when I point it out or break it down here but theres very large markups in much of this type of hobby equipment folks..

Back