Roasted rice for a steeping grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Lewis

Reaction score
Anyone have experience using roasted rice for a steeping grain (by itself or with something else)?

I love it as a tea, it has a fabulous popcorn scent/flavor.

But wondering if that would be weird in a beer.

I suggest making a beer with the roasted rice as 5% of the fermentables by weight, and crystal malt (i.e. caramel malt) like 60°L, as 5 to 10% by weight.

For example if you are making a 1 gallon batch with 2 lbs of malt, 5% of that is 0.1 lbs (1.6 oz).

been a while since i could get cheap rice hulls, but think i remember doing some in 100% rice beer....using amylase, and gluco, dry hoping....was decent if i remember correctly...

(and i love star trek! :))

It's sooooo damned hard that it will need a long soaking to mash properly.

cereal mash....put it your brew kettle and throw it in the oven overnight with your strike water...gotta boil rice to gel the starch anyway, the way i always made my rice beer, put it in the oven over night at 212f, by morning gel'd rice grains...add your malt and watch it magically liquefy!

Would roasted rice not already be gelatinized?

i don't think so, doesn't water need to be present to gel starch?

edit: (of coourse thinking about it more, popcorn has enough moisture to gel, so i don't know)
-----
oh, and i had another thought about the rice, you could sprout brown rice and malt it too....then roast it...might bring a new flavor to the brew.

Basmati rice comes in quite a few varieties.
It's an Indian long grain rice with an aromatic ester. I've got the white version and there is a brown version, too. Very similar to the Thai jasmine rice. Both smell like popcorn when cooking. The Basmati I have is in an 8lb. bag that normally sells for about $18 retail, but I snagged several bags for less than $4 each because the whitebread Anglos I live around will eat spaghetti or macaroni long before buying rice.
Aged Basmati is extremely hard and dry so hydrolyzing it requires a good, long soak and cooking before a good mash can be done.
My recipe for the lager is fairly simple, about 7.5lb. base malt, 4oz. acid malt, and 2lb. of cooked rice. Briess Brewer malt, Pilsner, or Vienna will do in treated soft water and it's good to go.

Last edited:
Roasted rice won't convert- you'd need to add it to a mash. If you're comfortable with doing a small mash, you could use twice as much pale malt (2-row), crushed, as rice. I'd crush the rice into smaller pieces as well. Then use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain and mash at 152 for 60 minutes, or even a little longer to ensure conversion. Then sparge with up to 1.5 quarts of water per pound.
You can do that in a muslin bag, as long as the grain is very loose in the bag so that you can stir well.

Back