Roasted Barley Quantity Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BandonBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the following recipe from BYO for an Irish Red:

9.9 lbs. (4.5 kg) Crisp British pale ale malt or similar British pale ale malt
6.0 oz. (170 g) Great Western crystal malt (40 °L)
6.0 oz. (170 g) Great Western crystal malt (120 °L)
5.0 oz. (142 g) roasted barley (300 °L)
5.25 AAU Kent Golding pellet hops, (1.05 oz./30 g at 5% alpha acid) (60 min.)
Safale US-05 yeast

However, the roasted barley from my source has a Colour of 1000-1300 EBC (375°L - 500°L) so I went for ~3/5 of the amount (100g). Assuming the worst and the roasted barley is 500°L, does that mean I want 3/5 of the amount or does it not work so linearly?

Incidentally, 3/5 of 142g is 85.2g so I've covered myself with a buffer of 15g in case I decide 1150 EBC is a good middle ground.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm about to harvest some Kölsch yeast, would I be better using that or the Safale? I'm leaning towards the Safale given summer is coming and my basement will be around 18C (65F). I can just freeze the Kölsch till winter or whenever if needs be.

Thanks in advance :mug:

The roasted barley adjustment sounds about right, but I couldn't give you a scientific answer to that. Also, I'd use the US-05, if I'm correct that its more flocculent than Kolsch yeast.

I think Kolsch tends to emphasize hop flavors and give a very "clean" fermentation...well, actually that's said of US-05 too. But I'd go with the US-05; Irish Red is supposed to be malty.

Definitely 05 between those two, for me at least - 05 gives a much cleaner, less estery flavor profile, which I would want in an Irish Red.

Given that it's summer, that might be a good idea :mug:

My basement stays around 18C so I'll be pushing my luck!

Given that it's summer, that might be a good idea :mug:

My basement stays around 18C so I'll be pushing my luck!

That's about 65 F, which means the beer could easily be 75 F inside the carboy (or higher, S-04 is notoriously vigorous) if relying on passive convection and conduction for temperature control (as opposed to, say, being in a minifridge with a temperature controller set to 18 C and the carboy pressed up against the bent-down coils).

S-04 develops a charming burned rubber taste if fermented "too warm." I'm not exactly sure what the threshold of "too warm" is, and wouldn't risk it.

That's about 65 F, which means the beer could easily be 75 F inside the carboy (or higher, S-04 is notoriously vigorous) if relying on passive convection and conduction for temperature control (as opposed to, say, being in a minifridge with a temperature controller set to 18 C and the carboy pressed up against the bent-down coils).

S-04 develops a charming burned rubber taste if fermented "too warm." I'm not exactly sure what the threshold of "too warm" is, and wouldn't risk it.

Definitely US05 then. I use large buckets (30L) so I should maybe look into making a swamp cooler I guess. Thanks for the info!

Back