Roasted Barley 350 v 500L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to brew the Brewing Classic Styles Irish Red recipe.

It calls for Roasted Barley at 300L. If I can only get 500L, should I just add less to maintain the same color target? I worry that the color and the roasted character will not track together and I will lose the flavor contribution of the roasted barley. Conversely, I don't want it to be dark like a stout.

Thank you for your opinions!

Ive never heard of roasted barley thats over 300L. Are you sure its not black malt or blackprinz?

But yeah, adjust it down a bit if you want to hit a target color

To me, anything im using roasted barley in is usually black colored anyway so I would just use the same amount though

I'm looking to brew the Brewing Classic Styles Irish Red recipe.

It calls for Roasted Barley at 300L. If I can only get 500L, should I just add less to maintain the same color target? I worry that the color and the roasted character will not track together and I will lose the flavor contribution of the roasted barley. Conversely, I don't want it to be dark like a stout.

Thank you for your opinions!

My 2nd all grain batch was Jamil's Irish Red. I too could only get the baird's 500L roast barley. I didn't know and went with the recipe and ended up with a Black Irish Ale. I rebrewed it with half the amount and it was great. The flavors you associate with that style are mostly from the base malts, crystal and yeast. You do need some roast but 3oz of 500L roasted barley will have enough.

Back