River Tubing with a Cornie Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just BMBF some PET bottles. It's super easy. Especially if you're doing it the night before or weekend before the trip If it's not perect no biggie. They would get shaken up the same as a can of beer would foam wise. So maybe carb them a little less than usualy to avoid loosing everything to foam. But again i have no idea how shaky the waters are.

A full corny of water is 45 lbs. I will be keeping an eye on this thread as my friends and I will be hitting up some CO rivers in tubes for multi-day trips.

If you let the kegs age for long enough all the yeast should be settled and just take a pint or so out before taking it on the river to get rid of most of the yeast sediment.

Foaming shouldn't be a problem any more then a can would be and when we took cans we dragged them in a bag in the water and didn't have any problems with foaming.

My cornies weigh 50 lbs when filled. I did fill them to the very top, so possibly more than 5 gallons. I've given up on the sideways keg idea for now, it would just take too large of an investment for something that may or may not work good. I'm definitely using one of the coolers I already have, probably the rolling-ice-cube, and fixing some PVC tubing to it so it will be self-floating. I'm either gonna buy 2 more 5L mini-kegs for $40 total, or gonna cut a hole in the lid to fit one 5 gal cornie. If I do cut a hole in the lid I'll be adding a PVC tower to the top to keep the cornie out of the elements, keep it from floating up as it gets emptied, and so I can add a pretty tap to it one day.

floaterator3.JPG

I'm either gonna buy 2 more 5L mini-kegs for $40 total, or gonna cut a hole in the lid to fit one 5 gal cornie. If I do cut a hole in the lid I'll be adding a PVC tower to the top to keep the cornie out of the elements, keep it from floating up as it gets emptied, and so I can add a pretty tap to it one day.

Ha...Pizzaman, between the floating cooler/bucket idea and dispensing beer from soda bags, you're one wacky dude...A+ for creativity, though! :ban: :)

Ha...Pizzaman, between the floating cooler/bucket idea and dispensing beer from soda bags, you're one wacky dude...A+ for creativity, though! :ban: :)

I do what I can.....funny you left out the bike pump keg thread? There's 25 pages of madness if you've ever seen it.

Oh man I didn't realize you were that guy!!!
disregard all my suggestion for logic and go as nuts as you can dream up. No matter how unnecessarily complicated it makes it :D
Instead of CO2 you could probably make a whirlpool device to capture fish in the water forcing there swimming movement to create pressure that you can capture in the cooler with maybe a sheep's bladder, then as this bladder expands it could push a bike pump handle down to push pressure into the corny to push the beer out! Much simpler than figuring out who to get a co2 tank safely down the river and much better than those boring portable CO2 cartridges.

Ahhh I hate cliffhangers!

So what happened? Which did you end up using? The PET bottles, the converted ice cube, mini kegs???

well pizzaman was banned for some confusion created by yooper, I have a feeling he had a kid and had to sell his kegging equipment, and decided to just bottle his river brews in plastic soda bottles. It probably worked out really well minus the occasional spilled cup :)

Back