River bottoms for fertilizer/compost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering what your thoughts are on using river bottom sediment for fertilizer or in compost. I work at a facility that draws water from a river in PA. Before we treat or use the water, it goes through strainer basket/socks to collect solids. This contains some nice stuff...freshwater muscle shells, dead crayfish, silt and other sediment. My thinking is that this would make great ... something for my hop garden. I'm not sure if i should add it to my compost or just layer on my garden and work it into the soil. Any ideas?

Hi all. Just wondering what your thoughts are on using river bottom sediment for fertilizer or in compost. I work at a facility that draws water from a river in PA. Before we treat or use the water, it goes through strainer basket/socks to collect solids. This contains some nice stuff...freshwater muscle shells, dead crayfish, silt and other sediment. My thinking is that this would make great ... something for my hop garden. I'm not sure if i should add it to my compost or just layer on my garden and work it into the soil. Any ideas?

It sounds like potentially good stuff. You might want to have a sample of both it and your existing soil tested. Hops like particular soil conditions, so you'd want to be sure you are doing them more good than harm by adding your fertilizer.

So far I just put it in my compost. I had about 2.5 gallons. Come fall when the river level goes up I'll have a lot more to play with.

I'd probably avoid this. River sediment also contains lots of heavy metals and other pollutants. Hydrocarbons and lots of nasty junk, depending on your location.

Back