Risk of adding different strain at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thespiff

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

About 2.5 months ago I brewed a Hunahpu/Zhukov clone based on recipes in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=406876

It's spent the last 5 weeks aging in a fresh whiskey barrel and I plan to bottle it this weekend. ABV is at 10% and FG is 1.042. I have concerns that there is not enough healthy yeast left to bottle condition, and am considering adding yeast to the bottling bucket. However, I fermented with a Wyeast London ESB smack pack, and I don't really feel like forking over the cash for another one of the same.

I am inclined to use 1/2 pack of Mangrove Jack’s M15 Empire Ale dry yeast at bottling. I am concerned though that using a new yeast on a beer with such a high FG might cause further attenuation of the beer beyond just the sugar I add at bottling, and I might end up with bombs. I'm curious what folks here think about the risk of conditioning with a different strain than you fermented on in a high ABV high FG beer?

The Yeast book recommends using a yeast with similar attenuation properties. But it seems to me that using a yeast with low attenuation would be safer, and it should still ferment all the bottling sugar. I've never had to add yeast for conditioning, so I can't say from experience.

Back