Rising SG and carbonated in primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Gunning

Reaction score
This is my second batch, and my first attempt at a pilsner. I understand pilsners are meant to be kept at a lower temperature, in my back room it's consistently between 11-14 degrees and the recommended temperature for this brew was 12-15. The initial gravity was 1.038 and after three weeks it dropped to 1.002. I checked the SG two days later and it was still at 1.002 so I figured fermentation must be finished. I waited about 2 minutes and I noticed the gravity was increasing. The hydrometer raised all the way up to a reading of about 1.025. When I looked in the cylinder I noticed the beer was very carbonated, and bubbles were resting on the hydrometer which probably led to the high reading. Is it safe for me to bottle anyway? I feel like I can't take an accurate reading as long as the carbonation is so high. Any recommended next steps?

Thanks!

There is always co2 in solution in your beer. Priming calculators take this into account by having you input the highest temperature that was reached during fermentation.

You need to take a hydrometer reading very close to the temperature that it is calibrated for. Usually it is 60F or 68F. If the sample is colder or warmer you can make a correction with on online calculator.

I would say that co2 bubbles floated the hydrometer and that you do have stable final gravity.

Your carbonation is not a high as you think it is and you still have to prime.

youre confusing SG with carbonation levels.
when you take your pre-prime sg reading , eliminate the carbonation "lift" by pouring the sample back and forth to flatten it. There really shouldnt be that much anyway.
On a side note - are you priming with sugar or using wort saved before you pitched yeast(speiss). I started speiss priming and found my beer head turns out a little creamier . The conditioning still takes a minimum of 10 days , I still prefer to wait 2 weeks before a test drink.

Back