RIS Swap ~ Scubasteve's Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I sent packages to Warped04, Flowerysong, and Evets. In the box I included:

(2) 12 oz bottles of 08/08/08 RIS, using the AG kit from AHS
(1) Bottle of Honey Apfelwein (regular Apfelwein recipe with 2 lbs of honey added in addition to the dextrose)

(1) Bottle of IPA, here's the Beersmith report:

American IPA-III
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/5/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: ScubaSteve
Boil Size: 8.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 47.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.10 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.76 %
Bitterness: 66.4 IBU Calories: 320 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.56 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 4.38 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Hit mash at 149 F. Added 5.2 pH.

Hope you guys enjoy...let me know when you receive them. Also, FWIW, this was the first time using BM's bottle filler, so I hope they're not undercarbed.

IPA

Appearance: Pour was a bit absent-minded, so I'm not sure if the lack of head is my fault or the beer's. Nice coppery color, a ring of white bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Nose: Grapefruity hop aroma, honeyed caramel underneath.

Taste: Piny and citrusy hops predominate, with a decent dose of bitterness underneath. Very much a candied fruit impression, with some darker dried fruit (raisins) showing up along with the caramel from the nose. Some biscuity malt and nuttiness starts to come through near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, medium-light body, some warming alcohol presence.

Overall: Decent enough, but I think it might be slightly oxidised.

Honey Apfelwein

Appearance: Golden yellow, a slight haze.

Nose: Apples and alcohol.

Taste: Funky, apple-y, and dry. Some rubber and yeast notes.

Mouthfeel: Dry, some hot alcohol.

Overall: Definitely could do with some age (whoops, my bad). Though I try not to get tetchy about such things it's also way out of style for an apfelwein, being carbonated and much too strong.

Oh crap, I didn't review the other beers. I drank them a while ago. I remember I liked the IPA. I tried the honey aw alongside an AW. The honey AW gave a nice flavor that complimented the aw. It was not too overpowering.

8/8/8 RIS

Aroma: Well balanced hops and malt. Not much carbonation to carry the aroma. A slight smell of alcohol.

Appearance: Not much head, the color is wonderful. Tilting the glass reveals if the beer was not opaque it would be clear.

Flavor: Well balanced. The slight alcoholic smell that comes through with the aroma is a first taste, then mellows as a warming sensation down the mouth.

Mouthfeel: I think this beer is supposed to have more body to it, than this does, but for my personal liking, I think this is perfect. It's creamy, but not overpowering allowing for nothing to overpower another. Well balanced.

Overall Impression: This beer is a bit undercarbed, but I think represents a well-balanced version of this beer offering a little bit of everything.

I would rate this beer "Very Good" (30-37) (I can't score beer, I'm just not that good, but I think you would end up somewhere in this category if this beer was being judged).

It was a pleasure swaping beers with you.

Thanks guys-

I appreciate the criticism. That's what helps us make our beers better. I gotta say, I wasn't too proud of the IPA....I was experimenting with the recipe, and I think the OG was way too high for the style...I let it boil for too long. Consequently, the beer needed a lot more aging than I would have liked.

I'm glad the beers were at least drinkable!

Nice writeup. I like the format you used.....I made it to the Championship Round....BOOYOW!

Back