RIS: Specialty grains in last 20 min of mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
So a friend of mine makes a great RIS. He told me that he adds his specialty grains in the last 20 minutes of the mash, to avoid astringency. i never heard of this before. Does anyone else do this?

cheers

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's fairly common when using darker roasted grains. If I'm remembering correctly, I think JZ and JP talk about it in Brewing Classic Styles. I know I've heard them talk about it in some of the BN shows.

I started doing this over the summer and I think it has worked out really well for me. I've tried just adding the dark speciality grains in the end as well as crystal grains. Overall, these grains obviously don't fully convert so there is no need to mash for 60 minutes.

I just did this for a dry stout and it turned out pretty great. I did a 45 min mash and then started to raise the temp for mash out and added the roasted barley then.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back