RIS recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiffy

Reaction score
First stout and first high ABV beer. Looking for any feedback ... I have a lot going on so I'll explain my thought process. I'll label by percentage because I do atypical batch sizes.

45.5% American 2-row
18.2% Light dry extract (can't fit entire grain bill otherwise + helps with IBUs)
2.3% Melanoiden (in place of ~10% munich, trying to use my 2row on hand)
4.5% Roasted Barley
4.5% Special B
6.8% Chocolate Malt
9.1% Flaked Oats (love oats in all my beers, going for extra mouthfeel)
9.1% Flaked Barley (extra body, going for thick, chewy stout)

That leaves me with OG of ~1.090 and I'll aim for 1.020-1.030 FG which is about 9% ABV. Also targeting ~60 IBUs and I'll add a dash of Willamette late. Plan to ferment cool with Safale 05 or similar liquid yeast.

I figure this recipe will give me the option to take half if I want and add oak cubes/chocolate nibs/coffee without any detriment.

Thanks for any feedback.

i would up the IBUs a little. typically Russian imperial Stouts take some time to get in to there prime. so a little extra bitter will be just right down the road. i just made a RIS for this winter OG was 1.092 IBUs 85 range. bitter as hell at first but just took a sample and its already mellowed out.

Good idea. I guess there will be a drop off in bitterness over 6 months to a year in the bottle.

That's really heavy! Oats, flaked barley and melanoidin malt! You'll need a flake with it! :D

That's really heavy! Oats, flaked barley and melanoidin malt! You'll need a flake with it! :D

To be honest I don't really know what you're talking about. I don't see any suggested changes so I'll take it!

Anybody else with any thoughts?

Back