RIS and US-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neovox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just racked my RIS to a secondary after 4 weeks. FG is about 10 to 12 points higher than I'd like it to be -- 1.036 down from 1.113. I was contemplating pitching some 05 since I have it on hand to try to bring it down further. Anyone else had success doing that? Or should I just leave it be?

I'm not certain that will work, but it won't hurt. This is a case where I would rehydrate the yeast. Before adding new yeast, you might try warming the beer up a bit and swirling the carboy gently once in awhile to get the yeast back up in suspension.

Also, 1.036 isn't that high when you have a starting point over 1.110. So it may be pretty tasty as is.

I'd pull a sample and taste. If it tasted good I'd probably leave it. Otherwise I'm not sure there will be much you can do to get that unstuck with a ferment that started at 1.113 short from putting some amylase in there and pitching the US-05. Stuck ferments can be hard to restart especially with an OG that high. I had a RIS that stuck at ~45 points. I made a starter, crashed chilled it at high krausen, decanted and pitched the slurry and that got it unstuck.

Back