Ripe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I read that hops are ready to harvest when they start turning brown. Are these ready or is there something wrong?
IMG_1533163618.027080.jpg
IMG_1533163641.232714.jpg

Browning is not an indication of ripeness but usually an issue with disease or some other factor that affects quality. In your case, I would check for mites on the underside of the leaves with a hand lens because of the dull appearance of the cones and also the spotting/flecking on the leaves. In the cones, they make their way into and between the bracts/bracteoles so if you peel them apart you'll probably see them.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I am by no means very experienced with growing hops, but I've harvested a couple years. You can see the yellow goodness in the top picture. That is what you want. Take a cone and cut it lengthwise you'll see the yellow developing. When they begin to get paper like, that is the dryness you are looking for.

Browning is not an indication of ripeness but usually an issue with disease or some other factor that affects quality. In your case, I would check for mites on the underside of the leaves with a hand lens because of the dull appearance of the cones and also the spotting/flecking on the leaves. In the cones, they make their way into and between the bracts/bracteoles so if you peel them apart you'll probably see them.
What are you using to spray for mites? I have been trying neem oil and pyganic 5.0 this year.

This is only the second time I've had issues at this location in the last 20 years but the neem seemed to clean them up.

I have researched and hunted for the best option available. I agree, if i made beer, i wouldnt want synthetic chemicals on my ingredients either. The pyganic 5.0 is a plant based poison that is omri registered, for what thats worth. Anyway, they seem to think a lot of it at $150/qt.

Pyrethrin and nicotine are both plant based insecticides, but they're also both pretty harmful to people.

If I remember correctly, you can keep mites at bay by spraying with a stream of water from the hose. Once you knock them off, you can keep them off by trimming the lower leaves. They stay in the grass over winter, so you need to trim the lower leaves before they start getting on the hop leaves.

Many pests can be controlled by insecticidal soaps, which basically just rinse off the plants.

Good plan there.
I'd say that this far into the growing season you are not going to hurt any further cone development by pruning some of the lower bine leaves. Just don't go too far with that, as the leaves are using photosynthesis to feed the rhizome as it prepares to go dormant for Fall/Winter.

I'd rather lose some cones to nature than spray anything on my hops.
Hell, I grow a much bigger veggie garden than needed just to be able to feed the local raccoon and groundhog population and still have some for me! I don't put chemicals on that garden either, but that's just my thing... kind of a hippie I guess.

I understand that in an idea world you wouldnt have to do anything but reap the harvest. I dont like spraying anything on my crops. I raise honey bees as well as hops so i have to be very careful when it comes to flowering plants. I too am a hippy. Even if i wasnt i wouldnt want to ingest poison. All i am saying is i tried to pick the lesser of two evils. I am growing commercially so it goes beyond a hobby especially when it comes to the financial investment. As far as i know the pyganic is photo sensitive and begins to break down immediately. My main concern is to stay away from the science lab crap even know it is listed safe to use.

Latest posts

Back