RIP Grain Bag...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraW

she/her
Reaction score
Found a couple of holes in the bottom of my grain bag after yesterday's brew day. Granted, it was a generically large bag from the LHBS and wasn't that expensive, but it has tackled every batch so far in my first year of brewing.

So as for a topic, how long do you keep a bag? It probably varies by quality so posting where you got it or what kind will probably help.

Yea I've had the same happen to a friend after buying from the LHBS. Bag lasted 2 brews. Shoots I had better luck w/plain old paint strainer bags. NEVER had on tear. Now I use a Wilserbrewer bag and highly recommend one.

5 gallon paint strainer bags only for me, $3.00 for two of them, each one makes a half dozen batches before they show signs of wear.

I keep it until it won't hold grain. I think they're $7 and never give me a problem in my keg. Pretty sure I've done over 12 batches with one. Had two because I thought I threw one out but it was still good. I even use it for hops.

Another upvote for Wilserbrewer. Wonderful stuff. I made a 10 gallon Wee Heavy batch in it - wetted grain weight was a little under 100 pounds, and the bag handled it like a champ.

I've got two bags I bought from More Beer I know the one in the best shape has 40+ boils on it the seam on it looks scary with 10 lbs of wet grain in it--I bought a Wilser last season and have 180 gallons boiled off so far on that bag and no snags in it and the seam shows no sign of stress when full of wet grain

When I still had my old system, I would use the elastic top 5gal paint strainer bags that come in 2s. I would double up though so in case some holes were made during the process, I wouldnt get scorched grain. Worked like a charm. Each set made it through at least 4 batches

I too, use 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I have never had one fail, I use them most of the time to contain hops in my boil kettle. I have thrown a couple away but that was after a late day brew session then forgetting that I left them for cleaning the next day. A few days later.... I did not want to use them again... For anything!!!!!!!

Another +1 for Wilserbrewer. I have batch 46 mashing as I type this. It has picked up a slightly brownish tint from the stouts I have done (character) but shows no signs of age.

Back