Rinse lines with a garden hose. $2.88 each

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://blackhawksupply.com/product...s-garden-hose-male-flare-x-female-hose-swivel

30052_40c1cfcd-ab95-438b-82e8-7f82cb869c66_600x600.jpg

The threads on that look like they would tear up your hoses. ?
The adapters I use have a normal hose barb.

That looks like a Garden Hose to MFL adapter. The pressure from a garden hose spigot is pretty high to overcome the resistance of long and narrow beer lines and will rinse them out OK, but not remove any cling. Recirculating some sort of cleaner (I use homemade PBW) is much better, IMO. Then rinse out with fresh water, and sanitize.

The hose doesn't go directly onto this fitting. A barb x female flare fitting is attached to the hose, then the fitting is screwed on to this fitting. Flare fittings make it easy to swap pieces around in the system.

I think that could work to rinse out any remaining beer line cleaner before sanitizing. If you have a sink nearby, you could get a faucet to hose adapter and have lower pressures.

That looks like a Garden Hose to MFL adapter. The pressure from a garden hose spigot is pretty high to overcome the resistance of long and narrow beer lines and will rinse them out OK, but not remove any cling. Recirculating some sort of cleaner (I use homemade PBW) is much better, IMO. Then rinse out with fresh water, and sanitize.
Do you have a pump when you travel? When I travel with a jockeybox i don't, but I do like to flush my lines before packing up te truck. I usually have access to a hose and this takes was less space than a pump.

Regardless, this thread is for deals. This is a deal for a product that fits my needs. And I am sharing as it may fit the needs of others. Debating necessity is a topic for gen-pop.
The hose doesn't go directly onto this fitting. A barb x female flare fitting is attached to the hose, then the fitting is screwed on to this fitting. Flare fittings make it easy to swap pieces around in the system.

I think that could work to rinse out any remaining beer line cleaner before sanitizing. If you have a sink nearby, you could get a faucet to hose adapter and have lower pressures.
This. And you don't need to open the hose to full bore. A ball valve quick shut-off (2 for a buck at my local hardware store) adds further simplicity.
7410590.JPG.jpg

Flare fittings are used for kegging?
That explains why I don't know anything about them.

Thanks, carry on.

Even better, clean the lines and QD at the same time.View attachment 623798
Agreed. Even though this space is for deals, I think the "travels with jockeybox that has access to a hose before they go home that also wants to clean on-site before going home" is really really small.

I looooove fittings and weird configurations, and making things do stuff that shouldn't be so...but I have trouble coming up with a brewing/serving reason for this fitting.

Honestly though - I understand the garden hose side....I don't understand what the smaller side is for. I try to keep fittings to a minimum because fittings and their interfaces is where the nasties like to hide to begin with. Flare fittings make it easy to move stuff around...but also create crevices and dead spots that are hard to sanitize. Cheap fittings is also where you get into heavy metals (lead) and corrosion.

Even better, clean the lines and QD at the same time.View attachment 623798
If you had pin locks... I looked. My gear is ac/dc or pl/bl if you rather.

1/4 mfl john guest type fittings bought from @Bobby_M make for quick-change QDs. This fitting was the simplest one-stop item.

Do you have a pump when you travel? When I travel with a jockeybox i don't, but I do like to flush my lines before packing up te truck. I usually have access to a hose and this takes was less space than a pump.

Regardless, this thread is for deals. This is a deal for a product that fits my needs. And I am sharing as it may fit the needs of others. Debating necessity is a topic for gen-pop.
This is not a debate, the purpose of that fitting was not clear from its appearance. In traveling with jockey box context this fitting makes a lot of sense. You showed how it exactly fits into your application, the bee's knees.

Now we discussed this, more brewers are informed and cogs are turning.

Latest posts

Back