Ringwood - bottled after 8 day primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I just bottled a Southern English Brown after only eight days in primary. That seemed kind of fast to me, so I thought I'd check to see whether anybody had ever attempted something similar.

I used Wyeast 1187, aerated through a Venturi device plus four minutes of shaking, and pitched a big, active starter. Pitching temp was 66F. I covered my carboy opening with tin foil rather than an airlock, since I'd read that Ringwood likes free gas exchange. Fermentation started quickly, and was complete in 48 hours: 1.040 --> 1.011. During that time, the temp climbed as high as 72F. After the first 48 hours, I roused the yeast a couple of times and raised the temp to the mid-to-high 70s to encourage diacetyl reduction. After eight days total in primary, gravity remained at 1.011.

I bottled because it was my last opportunity for maybe two weeks. However, I also tried to let flavor be my guide. The beer at bottling didn't display any diacetyl flavor that I could perceive. The aromas and flavors *were* very interesting, though. Quite good, really. Lots of fruit on the nose, almost wine-like. Huge malt flavor. It reminded me of chocolate.

This is my first time using Ringwood. Does it sound like my process was sound for a beer with such a quick turnaround?

EDIT: Please disregard. With just a little bit of searching on the Google machine, I could have seen that this is well-traveled ground, and that in fact the whole "eight days grain to glass" thing is a bit of a running joke with Ringwood. Carry on...

I recently did a double IPA using Ringwood. Started fermentation at ~62, at day 5 raised temp to 68. Cold crashed on day 7. Transfered to a secondary for dry hopping after cold crashing. Just trying the beer now and its great.

Many brew pubs use Ringwood Yeast because you can get good beer from Brew to Glass in a week. It's fast Fermenting (3 or 4 days), and with a day or two of Diacetyl Rest, a cold crash and CO2 addition you are serving a good beer pretty quickly. I use Ringwood on many brews, when needed I have done it that quick with great results but usually let it go 2 to 3 weeks when I don't need to rush it.

Back