RIMS Tube Valve Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbonnet

Reaction score
I noticed that a great percent of people use a valve on the pump egress as their throttle for RIMS tube flow rate. Sabco uses a valve on the rims tube egress to throttle RIMS tube flow.

I get the cons, explosions, etc. But I'm left wondering if there is a pro to having the valve upstream of the RIMS tube. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

I noticed that a great percent of people use a valve on the pump egress as their throttle for RIMS tube flow rate. Sabco uses a valve on the rims tube egress to throttle RIMS tube flow.

I get the cons, explosions, etc. But I'm left wondering if there is a pro to having the valve upstream of the RIMS tube. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

The boiling point will be higher, and risk of scorching lower, if liquid pressure surrounding the element is higher. Therefore the flow control or restriction is better downstream of heat source.

Biggest issue is the risk of a hose blowout and hot wort finding places it was never intended. Silicone hose not rated for pressure, especially at elevated temperatures. Clamped or not, no matter. Otherwise, probably semantics.

I suppose Bobby's point is highly valuable. Should you have no assurance of flow, and flow stops, then the volume could overheat and create an explosive condition.

I have my valve at the pump exit. I also have a flowmeter that does not allow the RIMS element to power unless positive flow is measured, but that's just me!

I would never restrict the output of a heated vessel, especially one with such small volume.

+1 on that Bobby in principle. However, one could argue that as long as one side of the heated vessel (RIMS tube) is not restricted, what's the difference as long as the tube inlet is open for relieving pressure. Let's face it, the low-head circulation pumps we use will not restrict a flash of vapor and resultant pressure in the tube.

Latest posts

Back