RIMS Tube to Full Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I currently have an electric/propane BIAB hybrid system that uses 120v 1500w RIMS Tube controlled through a PID for mashing and a propane BG14 propane burner for boiling.

I would like to move to a full eBIAB, single vessel system and am seeking direction. I do not currently have a 240v outlet in my garage but have the means to dedicate one to a system. Below is the a list of my current equipment.

• 15G Kettle with a low port, mid port, and high port (currently ballvalve, thermometer, whirlpool)
  • False Bottom
  • 1.5" Triclam RIMS tube w/sightglass
  • Chugger Pump
  • 110v Control Panel (K-type temp probe, PID, alarm, 2 switched 110v outlets (pump, element), 1 110v constant accessory outlet, E-Stop
  • Brewstand with swinging mast (bag hoisting)

Honestly, I haven't done much research and am unsure of the pros and cons of 110v vs 240v and even if my RIMS tube would still be needed or integrated into a new system.

And........ GO!

The decision whether to go with a 120 volt vs 240 volt circuit is what ultimately determines the maximum heating element wattage in your kettle.

Your RIMS can remain a part of your system upgrade. What size of batches do you plan to be able to brew?

Element wattage determines the speed at which you reach boil and the maximum size of your batches.

IMO, if you have the means to run a 240 volt circuit to your brewing space, then that should be your goal.

120 volt systems tend to limit your flexibility, batch capacity, and require a variety of work-arounds in order to have a functional system.

Assuming I were to go with 240v, would I eliminate my RIMS Tube and recirculate through my kettle? I would prefer to reach boiling in a timely manner, no longer than my current BG14 gets me there. I typically brew full volume 5 gallon batches with the occasional 10 gallon batch.

120 volt systems tend to limit your flexibility, batch capacity, and require a variety of work-arounds in order to have a functional system.

Not in total agreement with this, but also not looking to start a debate.

What flexibility do you think would be limited by 120v? With my two vessel set up I can brew anything from 3 gallon with eBIAB or HERMs, all the way to 13 gallons in a K-Rims configuration. I just swap a few hoses for the plumbing, which would also happen if I had 240v.

Batch capacity isn't limited until you get to the really big batches, I'd say 20 gallons+. My total wattage is 3300 via two fold back elements. Others with 20 amp service can easily get 4000 watts. It's not as fast as a single 5500 watt element, but we're only talking a few minutes of difference from mash out to boiling. (I don't count the time from ambient to strike because with an electric system you shouldn't need to baby sit that step. Set it before you go to bed, wake up, you're ready.)

The big work around for most, including myself, would be to simply run an extension cord to another dedicated120v outlet. Takes 30 seconds.

So my typical advice is to go with 120v if you have the circuits available and you'd have to spend money getting a 240v outlet. Of course if you already have 240v available, then by all means go with that.

I do have a second 15 gallon kettle available. Can you give me an overview of k-RIMS?

I do have a second 15 gallon kettle available. Can you give me an overview of k-RIMS?

You can find the full manual for the Blichmann K-Rims here.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/sites/default/files/BrewEasy_manual_V2.pdf

But in short, this picture from their manual explains it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, my version uses two pumps and is horizontal, not dependent on gravity.

Capture.JPG

Not in total agreement with this, but also not looking to start a debate.

What flexibility do you think would be limited by 120v? With my two vessel set up I can brew anything from 3 gallon with eBIAB or HERMs, all the way to 13 gallons in a K-Rims configuration. I just swap a few hoses for the plumbing, which would also happen if I had 240v.

Batch capacity isn't limited until you get to the really big batches, I'd say 20 gallons+. My total wattage is 3300 via two fold back elements. Others with 20 amp service can easily get 4000 watts. It's not as fast as a single 5500 watt element, but we're only talking a few minutes of difference from mash out to boiling. (I don't count the time from ambient to strike because with an electric system you shouldn't need to baby sit that step. Set it before you go to bed, wake up, you're ready.)

The big work around for most, including myself, would be to simply run an extension cord to another dedicated120v outlet. Takes 30 seconds.

So my typical advice is to go with 120v if you have the circuits available and you'd have to spend money getting a 240v outlet. Of course if you already have 240v available, then by all means go with that.
Since we are going there its important to disclose as much info as possible. (again not looking for a debate but it helps to discuss and explain too)

Do you have experience using both? Its hard to realise what your missing otherwise. as I learned myself with many "upgrades" or changes.

There some limitations and more inconveniences with 120v setups . They can both be made to work fine but...

The elements are lower power but higher watt density requiring more dedicated circuits and elements to achieve the same capability as one 240v element. Theres no denying that. For 10 gallons and up the divide grows between the two.

Even then you have to take certain percautions or I should say make sure you avoid certain scenarios with 120v elements that can lead to scorching. That has been shown over and over again if you do a search on scorched or scorching. Depending on the dimensions of your kettle and work arounds such as 240v elements wired on 120v or special ULWD elements that happen to still fit in the kettle the limitations can be avoided but it required more attention to the hardware and setup and usually costs more.

You also have more hole in your kettle to drill, more elements to clean and more cords going to those elements, Because of the likely higher density the elements are more prone to having wort bake onto them and require more cleaning diligence than an ULWD element to prevent this eventually effecting flavor or scorching.
There are less, stainless non corrosive element options for 120v than 120v from what Ive seen but they do exist and are becoming easier to find. most of the 120v setups I see have copper elements where the zinc coating has long flaked off into the wort. again making cleaning more important to avoid toxic conditions.

As someone who went from a 4000w 240v ulwd element to a 5500w element in my boil kettle I can say the difference is very noticeable with the 11-12 gallon boil volumes.

My element was supposed to be 4500w but was only 4000w as many elements are actually up to a few hundred watts less than their advertised rating so results could and do vary.

Bobby has this 5500w element that says it is ULWD https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple.htm . Could I run this in my kettle as a single vessel? In other words, recirculate the mash with it using a controller like this http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_59&products_id=620 or this http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_59&products_id=678 ?

Yes you can. Some do exactly what your suggesting. You need to ensure you have a decent flow though or you might get localized boiling and scorching but its rare. especially with a well placed temp probe. Many people do what your suggesting though.

BTW you can shave a good $250-300 off the costs of building a controller equal to the one in the kit although it is nice... I managed to build the one in my avatar for under $300 and used it for years before upgrading to brucontrol but thats hardly the simplified approach.

Yes you can. Some do exactly what your suggesting. You need to ensure you have a decent flow though or you might get localized boiling and scorching but its rare. especially with a well placed temp probe. Many people do what your suggesting though.

Do you have a suggestion of the best probe location? Would there be any benefit to removing the element from my RIMS tube and recirculating through it? That is where my temp probe currently is.

BTW you can shave a good $250-300 off the costs of building a controller equal to the one in the kit although it is nice... I managed to build the one in my avatar for under $300 and used it for years before upgrading to brucontrol but thats hardly the simplified approach.

I'm assuming I could easily update my current control panel (20A PID kit from ebrewsupply bought secondhand).

Since we are going there its important to diclose as much info as possible.

Do you have experience using both? Its hard to realise what your missing otherwise. as I learned myself with many "upgrades" or changes.

Good point. I do not. Have you used 120v in your brewing evolution? There's no doubt 240v has many advantages.

There are limitations and more inconveniences with 120v setups. They can both be made to work fine but...

The elements are lower power but higher watt density

Hold on while I do some maths. I've never checked this before, and please double check my numbers and assumptions.

OK, looking on Electric Brewery and Brewhardware I found some numbers. Camco straight foldback 5500 watt is 11.875" from end of threads to tip, and is 120 watts/in2 (LWD). Wavy version is considered ULWD at 60 watts/in2.

Looking at the picture, it appears that the straight foldback has about 75% of its total length in the foldback portion. So, total length if it were straightened would be 11.875 x 1.75 = 20.8" total length.

5500 watts / 20.8" = 264 watts/inch of heating element length.

Assuming the tube diameter is the same between the straight element and wavy one, that means the wavy ULWD would have about 132 watts/inch of heating element length.

For comparison, I'll look at the elements I currently use. It's the cheap Dernord 1650 watt elements off Amazon. LINK

They are 9.25" from end of thread to tip of element, and they also look like about 75% of their total length is in the foldback portion. Straightened length would be about 9.25 x 1.75 = 16.2". (I can double check this later I hope)

1650 watts / 16.2" = 102 watts/inch of heating element length.

Assuming that the element tube diameter is approximately the same between these Dernord and Camco elements would mean that each inch of tube length has the same amount of surface area. I think this is a pretty safe assumption. That means the 240v 5500 watt Camco wavy element would have a wattage density that is about 30% higher than the 120v 1650 watt Dernord foldback element. 132 watts/inch versus 102 watts/inch.

This is just my particular selection of elements. I know there are tons of folks out there using the straight elements and their wattage density would be much higher. But, based on this we can't make blanket statements that 120v elements are higher wattage density.

requiring more dedicated circuits and elements to achieve the same capability as one 240v element. Theres no denying that. For 10 gallons and up the divide grows between the two.

No doubt. To take 7 gallons from 170°F to boiling, assuming 60% efficiency, it takes about 9 minutes longer with 3300 watts versus 5500 watts (22 minutes versus 13 minutes) and 19 minutes longer with 15 gallons (47 minutes versus 28 minutes).

Even then you have to take certain percautions or I should say make sure you avoid certain scenarios with 120v elements that can lead to scorching. That has been shown over and over again if you do a search on scorched or scorching. Depending on the dimensions of your kettle and work arounds such as 240v elements wired on 120v or special ULWD elements that happen to still fit in the kettle the limitations can be avoided but it required more attention to the hardware and setup and usually costs more.

See above wattage density calc. Doesn't have to be an issue with 120v.

You also have more hole in your kettle to drill, more elements to clean and more cords going to those elements,

Not to be snarky, but it takes me an extra 15 seconds of scrubbing to clean the second element. But you're absolutely correct you do have more hardware (cords, extra holes if you kettle mount, or extra heat sticks if you choose that route).

Because of the likely higher density the elements are more prone to having wort bake onto them and require more cleaning diligence than an ULWD element to prevent this eventually effecting flavor or scorching. There are less, stainless non corrosive element options for 120v than 120v from what Ive seen but they do exist and are becoming easier to find. most of the 120v setups I see have copper elements where the zinc coating has long flaked off into the wort. again making cleaning more important to avoid toxic conditions.

Again, this doesn't have to be an issue if the correct elements are chosen at the onset. There's not even a dusting on the elements when I finish. And they're all stainless.

As someone who went from a 4000w 240v ulwd element to a 5500w element in my boil kettle I can say the difference is very noticeable with the 11-12 gallon boil volumes.

My element was supposed to be 4500w but was only 4000w as many elements are actually up to a few hundred watts less than their advertised rating so results could and do vary.

Yup, agreed. There is some time difference. Based on the above time numbers, I'd guess you saw somewhere in the range of 10-15 minute difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well your right about the longer foldback elements being around 60WPI. These would eliminate the scorching issues... If only more people actually used them. Instead there's countless threads were is seems people choose the rv style hot water heaters which are a much higher watt density. You dont have to take my word for it .. a simple search in the section for scorched often shows the higher watt density elements being used.. probable because some are using small kettles and just plain lack of knowledge. I do believe though that 5500w at say 65- 70% power ends up being much lower watt density than 3500w-4000w at 100% power on the same WPI elements to maintain the same heat output no? this would only be the case during the boil of course..

In any case it was wrong of me to use that as a disadvantage because if a person uses the lower watt density elements that issue goes away... I did also point that out though. Again most who use 120v dont seem know enough to choose the correct elements and if they take the time to research it, by that time they do understand they are already switching to 240v.

I would really love to know how your getting your elements clean in 15 seconds? because I have a TC based element which allows me to remove it and scrub it with a scratch free scotch brite if I wanted and it still has a tan film covering it when it drys, especially in the areas that cant be easily reached..
I know a lot of other people would like to know this too since there are many threads on cleaning them with methods such as using rope and even dry firing them like passed pawn does to clean his.

And im aware that the math show 10-15 minutes but it sure seems like its a bigger difference in actual use. maybe that 15 minutes is just dragging more when im sitting around waiting...

and no I only used 120v for a rims at one point which I quickly replaced due to scorching. I spend a lot of time reading peoples opinions who have moved from one to another and most seem to be in argeement 240v is the way to go if it can be done reasonably easily.

I would really love to know how your getting your elements clean in 15 seconds? because I have a TC based element which allows me to remove it and scrub it with a scratch free scotch brite if I wanted and it still has a tan film covering it when it drys, especially in the areas that cant be easily reached..
I know a lot of other people would like to know this too since there are many threads on cleaning them with methods such as using rope and even dry firing them like passed pawn does to clean his.

Maybe it's 30 seconds?😁

Seriously though, it's just a gentle scrub with a thin green scrubby pad. I leave the elements in place. The pad slips between all the grooves, nooks and crannies. Done in no time.

And yes, for this example a 5500 watt element at 70% power would have a wattage density about 10% less than the equivalent wattage on the 1650 watt foldbacks.

And for a 7 gallon boil I run one at 100% and the other at 15-20%.

I will jump back in here and add that there is certainly no reason that you can't have a workable 120 volt system.

However, given the choice of building a new system or even upgrading an existing system like the OP is proposing, I personally would prefer the relative advantages that a 240 based system offers.

Granted, I built my system myself 100% from scratch. Not everyone can run a new branch circuit from their panel to their brewing area, everyone's economic situation is different and these are all legitimate factors to consider when building a brewing panel.

If I had to pay someone for the labor to do the things I did to get my system up and running, my choices may have been entirely different.

Do you have a suggestion of the best probe location? Would there be any benefit to removing the element from my RIMS tube and recirculating through it? That is where my temp probe currently is.

I'm assuming I could easily update my current control panel (20A PID kit from ebrewsupply bought secondhand).
Well other might be of more help with configuration but I believe it would be safest to have the probe near the element.

I will jump back in here and add that there is certainly no reason that you can't have a workable 120 volt system.

However, given the choice of building a new system or even upgrading an existing system like the OP is proposing, I personally would prefer the relative advantages that a 240 based system offers.

Granted, I built my system myself 100% from scratch. Not everyone can run a new branch circuit from their panel to their brewing area, everyone's economic situation is different and these are all legitimate factors to consider when building a brewing panel.

If I had to pay someone for the labor to do the things I did to get my system up and running, my choices may have been entirely different.

I agree with this... I'm no electrician but I too ran a dedicated run of 10awg and a 30 amp breaker up to my brew room... cost me about $130 or so to do it but I bought 100ft of 10/3 cable so... a lot of folks have a 240v plug for a dyer or stove as well.

This is a moot point as the OP seems to have no problem with 240v...

Maybe it's 30 seconds?😁

Seriously though, it's just a gentle scrub with a thin green scrubby pad. I leave the elements in place. The pad slips between all the grooves, nooks and crannies. Done in no time.

And yes, for this example a 5500 watt element at 70% power would have a wattage density about 10% less than the equivalent wattage on the 1650 watt foldbacks.

And for a 7 gallon boil I run one at 100% and the other at 15-20%.

that pretty efficient if your getting that good a boil with 2000w or so on that much liquid. Is the kettle insulated?

Temp probe should be located as close to the heating element a possible, and in a high flow area (like between the element and the kettle drain.) This will minimize the chance of overheating the wort and also improve the responsiveness of the control system (less lag time between temp changes and when they are detected.)

On thing to watch out for if upgrading a 20A panel to a 30A panel is that the power wiring in the 20A panel is likely to be 12AWG. This all has to be replaced with 10AWG wire to handle 30A. If you only have a 25A SSR, that should be upgraded to a 40A SSR.

Brew on :mug:

Temp probe should be located as close to the heating element a possible, and in a high flow area (like between the element and the kettle drain.) This will minimize the chance of overheating the wort and also improve the responsiveness of the control system (less lag time between temp changes and when they are detected.)

On thing to watch out for if upgrading a 20A panel to a 30A panel is that the power wiring in the 20A panel is likely to be 12AWG. This all has to be replaced with 10AWG wire to handle 30A. If you only have a 25A SSR, that should be upgraded to a 40A SSR.

Brew on :mug:

I thought 12 awg still met code inside the box for a 5500w 23a element power cord use? Granted the power cable going to the main contactor of terminal strips should be upgraded but I specifically remember an electrician stating that is it was inside of the control panel the rules were different on this. I may very well have gotten bad info but in was on a thread like this.

The SJ or SO cable (cant remember which ) I use for my 5500w element is 12 awg and its rated by the manufacturer for 600v and 25a... I'm aware you know this but there are exceptions depending on insulation type and use and I think inside the panel is one.

Also a 25a rated ssr should be ok for a 23a element... Thats what I used for years. yes a 40a may run cooler but if he already has it in his panel it does meet the specs demanded of it is all im saying. With as many people here successfully using the knock off foteks with 10a rated internals [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxEhxjvifyY[/ame]
I would think as long as he has a decent SSR its not going to be a problem for him.

I think augiedoggys comment on wire gauge used in a panel has some merit, although I usually use the normal wire ampacity charts we all commonly refer to inside and outside of panels.

Wire resistance, voltage drop, and associated heat dissipation are all proportional to wire length, just as they are inversely proportional to wire gauge. Panel wiring is generally pretty short, and that minimizes the voltage drop compared to a longer wire run from, say a panel, for example.

I have seen permanent wire leads on motors and other electrical loads that appear smaller than what "code" would normally dictate.

Back