RIMS Step Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rp5brew

Reaction score
As anyone step mashed with RIMS? I want to try it out but not sure if the temp rise is fast enough. My rig is 1 degF every 4 mins. 8 gallon volume.

Lots of people step mash with RIMS, but then again there are a wide diversity of RIMS systems out there. Four minutes per degree would be quite slow. I think you'd have a hard time getting the kinds of schedules you want.

What is an ideal temp rise to step mash? 1 deg/min?

Ideal would be as fast as possible without scalding. Think of it like this: if you want to do a protein rest at, say, 120, and then want to raise up to your mash temp at 150, that means two hours at 4 deg/min. My direct fire RIMS picks up about 2deg/min, but 1 deg/min would probably be reasonable enough. I wouldn't want to go much below that, though.

Have you considered either starting with a thicker mash and using an infusion to assist in the step or even a decoction?

My HERMS can setup a 5gal batch at 1deg/min. With that said, I avoid step mashes whenever possible.

Latest posts

Back