RIMS issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullywee

Reaction score
ive been an electric RIMS brewer for a few years, had to sell the old system now built another. I had some issues.

the equipment

15G sanke MLT
10" perforated False bottom
RIMS tube
March pump
RIMS return is a single 1/2 hose hugging inside of MLT

problems were that grain bed became compacted, stopping flow, causing RIMS element to trip CB. I dont know who the culprit is the smallish 10" false bottom or the RIMS return?

Cheers

ive been an electric RIMS brewer for a few years, had to sell the old system now built another. I had some issues.

the equipment

15G sanke MLT
10" perforated False bottom
RIMS tube
March pump
RIMS return is a single 1/2 hose hugging inside of MLT

problems were that grain bed became compacted, stopping flow, causing RIMS element to trip CB. I dont know who the culprit is the smallish 10" false bottom or the RIMS return?

Cheers

More than likely it is the 10" false bottom. There just is not enough surface area in the 10" to handle the wort flow when doing RIMS or HERMS in a 15.5 gallon keggle.
You also have to be careful of the speed of your flow.

Cheers
Jay

Crush is HUGE for a RIMs kit.

I condition my malt and it makes a big difference. If I don't have a lot of wheat or rye, I can recirc very fast.

Keep an eye on your husk integrity. My husks look pretty fluffy when I condition my malt and mill with a tight gap.

Thanks

Jay thats what I figured and was blinded by price when i bought it, what do you have that would work?

Thanks

Jay thats what I figured and was blinded by price when i bought it, what do you have that would work?

Jaybirds 15" false bottom works like a champ in my keggle mash tun/RIMS system.

I would suggest the 15" big_al_in_k-zoo is talking about and for the RIMS I suggest a level 1 stand for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks i was loking at jays stuff originally but went with my wallet instead of my gut and now im paying twice

Well I put them on sale so I can help you out, at least on my end...:D

You can repurpose your 10" in your BK if you have a keg there. A 15" hinged in the BK works killer and I have heard of people adding a level 1 stand and their old smaller false bottoms on top as added filtration.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back