RIMS exit temp vs mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right - little pump wide open = big pump throttled down :)
fwiw at peak recirculation I'm running around 2 gpm. Using an 815...

Cheers!

Here's mine!
FM.png
Sorry... had to do it!

Remember, all the enzymes are in the wort...not the grain bed. Bringing the wort to temperature is the objective. Bringing the grain bed to temperature is only a result.

Wow... I did not know that! I thought they were in the kernels. I assume then, that they flow out into the wort easily, because they aren't in the mashing water at the start?

Wow... I did not know that! I thought they were in the kernels. I assume then, that they flow out into the wort easily, because they aren't in the mashing water at the start?

They start out in the kernel. Water and raised temperature activate them and they they go into solution along with everything else that can dissolve in water.

A sight glass is a perfectly good vacuum gauge for RIMS. And you probably want one of those anyway. You just adjust the flow so that there is still liquid in the sight glass.

OK, so this is just from a preliminary water test with my EZ Boil controller, but when I ran a recirculating trial (tap water in my Spike mash tun, to a chugger, through a RIMS Rocket, back to mash tun) the temp probe at the exit of the RIMS Rocket read 133ºF (my set point) but the water in the mash tun (measured with a Thermapen) was at 122.xºF. I am a total RIMS newby, so I'm curious if this behavior will carry over to a real life mash, or will the thermal mass of the grains alleviate the offset? Thanks in advance!

I ran with a RIMS tube same principal as the ROCKET for some time and contrary to what some say on this post, it is for heating as well. The rims tube is for recirculating and what good would it be if it can't heat during re-circulation?

I have since switched over to a HERMS coil system in a 25 gal. Stout kettle. During re circulation I found that I lose form the out feed on the herms coil to the mash kettle about 10 deg. The best part of this would be I never have a chance of scorching my wort over an exposed heating element as with the RIMS system. You may be simply experiencing a temperature loss in lines from your rims to the kettle, I know it sounds impossible but it happens.

Have you run boiling wort thru this flowmeter, or only mash temp wort? Concerned about suitability for recirculating eBIAB.

Brew on :mug:

Very good point.... most rotameters out there, especially for 'water', are not rated for very high temps.

The one i use is rated for mash temps, but not boiling. You can get them rated higher but they are stoopid expensive.

Those tan pumps max out at just over 1.5 gpm correct?

If this is the case I way overkilled my first RIMS run with a chugger pump! No wonder I ended up with a stuck mash at 7 gpm [emoji13]
the 12v ones pump just over 2 gpm the 24v ones pump just over 3 gpm.. I run my system at 1.5-1.8 gpm (on the flowmeter) when recircing through my rims with a 24v pump pulling through the grainbed.

And YES those big pumps are way overkill for using a rims in homebrewing scererios.

That comment about waiting 10 minutes before starting recirculation is interesting. I start recirculation as soon as the grain is doughed in since I want to fully mix all the water with the bed and make sure the wort temperature is more uniform.

My tun has a manometer tube ported into the bottom so that I can monitor the head at the bottom of the grain bed. With that instrument, I have found that all mashes have low permeability initially and its permeability increases during the mash. I have also found that I don't create a stuck mash if I limit the head drawdown to about the bottom of the bed. If you don't have a manometer in your tun and you try to run the pump at too high a rate, you can pull a great deal of negative pressure on the bottom of the bed and that can compact the bed. Wide open is NOT a good idea in RIMS and HERMS. You should have a way to monitor the head at the bottom of the bed.
I have found that quite a bit of conversion already takes place by the 15 minute mark so I try to dough in as close as possible..

I see this same effect with both my sight glass and my electronic volume measurement (via hydrostatic pressure sensor). Makes having a sight glass worthwhile.

Could you link the model of your eletronic volume measurement? I searched it on your rig topic, but couldn't find.

Thanks in advance!

No. While this sensor was great and worked well, it was a binary output (On/Off) and required manual positioning. The variable sensor can read the volume at any level. I had to use the binary sensor with the previous control system, but my current one has the flexibility to read analog values.

Full open?! What false bottom do you use? I also have a bottom draining keggle, and ended up with a stuck mash when I very slowly opened the pump all the way...

Edit:
After the stuck mash happened, I followed up on the chugger pump flow rate which came out to 7 gpm! This seems like overkill and maybe even harmful for a mash..?

Rice hulls are your friend. I generally use 1/2# of hulls for 10# of grain, more if using rye or wheat. Very rare for me to get a stuck mash now using my RIMS system.

Rice hulls are your friend. I generally use 1/2# of hulls for 10# of grain, more if using rye or wheat. Very rare for me to get a stuck mash now using my RIMS system.

Conditioning the grain before milling is another option. I now only need rice hulls if there's a significant portion of wheat (or rye I guess, but I haven't used rye).

Conditioning the grain before milling is another option. I now only need rice hulls if there's a significant portion of wheat (or rye I guess, but I haven't used rye).

What do you mean by conditioning? Is this in addition to the advanced malting methods used by most grain distributors today?

Are there any drawbacks to this? Are you suggesting additional rice hulls have no affect on the wort or final product?

Rice hills add nor subtract anything in terms of flavor. That said, with a conditioned grain and a proper crush, a moderately slow recirculation initially, you should not get stuck mashes.

Here is my crush last brew. 0.038" mill gap and conditioned grain. 60% barley, 40% white wheat. Note the intact husks.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496852331.828553.jpg

Are there any drawbacks to this? Are you suggesting additional rice hulls have no affect on the wort or final product?

They don't affect the wort or the final product. The one reason I'm trying to avoid them sometimes is that I use spent grain for making bread and dog treats, and rice hulls are pretty nasty to chew on in bread (I haven't asked the dog for her opinion).

The point of adding rice hulls is they simulate the porous filtering effect provided by the shredded husks on the barley malt. That allows the wort to flow more easily through the mash during recirculation and the run-off.
All this helps to avoid the dreaded stuck run-off that results from a compacted grain bed.

Rice hulls are often recommended when your grain bill contains a grain with no husk like malted wheat.

Only benefits and no negative consequences that I am aware of. Husk are pretty inert for the most part.

The point of adding rice hulls is they simulate the porous filtering effect provided by the shredded husks on the barley malt. That allows the wort to flow more easily through the mash during recirculation and the run-off.
All this helps to avoid the dreaded stuck run-off that results from a compacted grain bed.

Rice hulls are often recommended when your grain bill contains a grain with no husk like malted wheat.

Only benefits and no negative consequences that I am aware of. Husk are pretty inert for the most part.
well the additional waste and cost is a small consequence ... I tried them once myself and I could see how they could help but I havent needed them to avoid stuck sparges. my mash temps stay consistent even with the lowest flowing recirculations Ive seen at about 1-1.2gpm or so from rye and oats.. I crush at credit card thickness and average 86%

I generally agree, but recognize that rice hulls are full of silicate. I do believe that most of that silicate remains in the husk, but there is still a possibility to extract some. Every broken cell in the husk has a potential to release the silicate. High pH and low wort gravity tend to exacerbate silicate extraction.

I do try and limit the mass of rice hulls I add to a grist. I find that somewhere between 2 to 5 percent of the grist's mass can be added in the form of hulls for sticky grists with wheat or rye to avoid stuck mashes.

Full open?! What false bottom do you use? I also have a bottom draining keggle, and ended up with a stuck mash when I very slowly opened the pump all the way...

Edit:
After the stuck mash happened, I followed up on the chugger pump flow rate which came out to 7 gpm! This seems like overkill and maybe even harmful for a mash..?

I use a SABCO hinged full false bottom. It is the same as the Jaybird ones. I mill at 0.045" and that allows for good flow.

I use a SABCO hinged full false bottom. It is the same as the Jaybird ones. I mill at 0.045" and that allows for good flow.

You're still not ripping a chugger pump full open though correct?

I generally agree, but recognize that rice hulls are full of silicate. I do believe that most of that silicate remains in the husk, but there is still a possibility to extract some. Every broken cell in the husk has a potential to release the silicate. High pH and low wort gravity tend to exacerbate silicate extraction.

I do try and limit the mass of rice hulls I add to a grist. I find that somewhere between 2 to 5 percent of the grist's mass can be added in the form of hulls for sticky grists with wheat or rye to avoid stuck mashes.

I was not aware of the silicate content of rice husks. Under what conditions does extraction of silicate become a concern under actual brewing conditions?

A sight glass is a perfectly good vacuum gauge for RIMS. And you probably want one of those anyway. You just adjust the flow so that there is still liquid in the sight glass.

I'll second this solution No need to make things overly complicated.

A sight glass right below my false bottom works extremely well as a (relative) flow gauge .

Ok -- so got to try my RIMS setup again today with a vacuum gauge and (duh) a thermometer inline.

Overall things went well. I did ALMOST end up with a stuck mash by getting overconfident with the pump (whoops). The vacuum gauge saved me big time here.

Question though -- I think I may still have overheated the wart just a little bit. This rubbed right off and the wort tasted right on, but I figured I'd ask if this level of "caramelizing" is normal for a RIMS?

-- by the way, the dark stuff is just wet, not charred or burnt.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497244250.251734.jpg

That darkening looks problematic. I usually have a light whiteish, slightly slimy film on my RIMS element and it easily wipes off following the brew as long as you don't let it dry. I'm assuming its some sort of protein/carbohydrate film. I've have friends that didn't clean their elements after each brew and they developed 'smokey' flavor and aroma in all of their beers. Always clean your elements following a brew session.

Grain conditioning FTW! I've started doing steam conditioning, as described in this article:
http://beerandwinejournal.com/malt-conditioning/

I used to have problems with my Chugger pump being way too big for my system, but since discovering steam, I've completely forgotten to worry about it and let it chug merrily away.

Ok -- so got to try my RIMS setup again today with a vacuum gauge and (duh) a thermometer inline.

Overall things went well. I did ALMOST end up with a stuck mash by getting overconfident with the pump (whoops). The vacuum gauge saved me big time here.

Question though -- I think I may still have overheated the wart just a little bit. This rubbed right off and the wort tasted right on, but I figured I'd ask if this level of "caramelizing" is normal for a RIMS?

-- by the way, the dark stuff is just wet, not charred or burnt.

View attachment 404007

What is the wattage of the element you are using in your RIMS tube?

What is the wattage of the element you are using in your RIMS tube?

1100 W @ 110
4600 W @ 220

I ran 110 for holding temps and then cutover to 220 for stepping up temps. I originally just tried the 110 to keep the WD down, but it took almost 40 minutes to step from 122-152 F (10 gallon batch).

Latest posts

Back