Riddle Me This... Rings of Saturn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OswaldvW

Reaction score
I went down to the basement about an hour ago to get a carboy for a batch brewing on the stovetop and decided to check on my braggot. Already racked to a second carboy, it is beginning to clear. What's this? It looks like the rings of Saturn floating midway in the carboy on one plane.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? I assume the "debris" is hops from some dry hopping, but why are they all together, approximately half way down on their descent. Is this something that happens often?

Riddle_Me_This.jpg

Could be hop debris, could be yeast, could be pretty much any solids that were floating around. When I get "rings" of deposits I chalk it up to a temperature gradient that occurred at the same time the bits were looking to glom onto something...

Cheers!

Not a big deal ive had that happen a few times not sure exactly why but I attributed it to stuff settling in the beer and stratifying causing the liquid to be a bit more dense towards the bottom. So some of the "debris" that settles out may be just floating on the denser liquid.

Back