Rice Syrup Solids in BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here using rice syrup solids? Any tips for determining Potential and Yield numbers for BeerSmith? Can't find any real info online. Did find that Brewer's Friend lists it as 37 PPG.

It may vary depending on the manufacturer, but they contain something like 98.5% carbs. So, something like 46.21 PPG (sucrose reference) x .985 = 45.5 PPG.

37 PPG sounds more like a syrup, not dehydrated solids.

Thank you for the reply! I had the same feeling that 37 PPG seemed low. How do I convert that to Potential and Yield numbers for BeerSmith? Would Potential be 1.046? I'm assuming the yield would be similar to DME which BeerSmith shows as 95-97%.

Edit: Playing with BeerSmith I just realized those 2 numbers are tied together. Entering a # in either field auto fills the other. Time to read more...

:mug:

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I had the same feeling that 37 PPG seemed low. How do I convert that to Potential and Yield numbers for BeerSmith? Would Potential be 1.046? I'm assuming the yield would be similar to DME which BeerSmith shows as 95-97%.

Sorry, I don't use BeerSmith and my program takes PPG directly.

But my guess is that this would work, added as a sugar:
Potential: 1.0455
Yield: 100%

Last edited:
Doing a little googling, it looks like Yield is a grain's Dry Basis Fine Grind and Potential is the gravity expression of that (i.e. 100% would be 1.046), but ignoring moisture (at least at that point). So Potential is not quite the same as PPG.

Normally (not sure what BeerSmith does), PPG would be...

DBFG x 46.21 x (1 - moisture %)

Back