Rice Hulls - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Reaction score
Been brewing awhile, but had never used rice hulls. Decided to start now as doing a lot of wheats lately and running into quasi-stuck mashes in my Brew Boss.

I ordered up some with my last order to get me over a free shipping dollar amount - BTW, 15 lbs of rice hulls is a huge bag :eek:

I've read some posts on here, but some people say half a pound, some a whole pound, and then others say "just a scoops worth"

Question now that i see how much 15 lbs really is - what is the ratio of hulls to a 11-12 lb grain bill (50% wheat) in a BIAB/Brew Boss mash ??

I just throw a pound in every brew. Sometimes I have a pound on small green bills that are 10 pounds or less but I’m pretty lazy so usually just a pound

Question now that i see how much 15 lbs really is - what is the ratio of hulls to a 11-12 lb grain bill (50% wheat) in a BIAB/Brew Boss mash ??

is this a BIAB? if so, are rice hulls needed in a BIAB mash (or ... how could you get a stuck sparge, when you lift out the bag and grains to drain after mash time is up)?

Since you don't have actual stuck lauters, I would start with 1/4 lb for each 10 lb of grain. If that doesn't give you enough improvement, then use double the amount next time. I also recommend pre-wetting the rice hulls to compensate for their absorption.

Even if you don't need rice hulls to prevent stuck lauters in a true (bag lifted out) BIAB, they may still improve the removal of wort from the grain mass, giving quicker draining and lower grain absorption. YMMV.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
I have never weighed the rice hulls. If I think I "might" have a problem I take a good single handful. If I have a sticky recipe where I am "worried" about a problem I take a two handed handful. My system seems less susceptible to a stuck sparge so I think I can use a lot less than most.

@doug293cz's dosage prescription matches my rate - when I use rice hulls it's a half pound for a 10 gallon batch in a fly-sparge herms system. Lets me maintain the recirculation rate I like to keep the mlt at temperature with the hlt only a few degrees hotter...

Cheers!

Even if you don't need rice hulls to prevent stuck lauters in a true (bag lifted out) BIAB, they may still improve the removal of wort from the grain mass, giving quicker draining and lower grain absorption. YMMV.

Brew on :mug:

This is real, when I do my 12 gal BIAB with a sticky recipe, I just add 1.5-2 lbs of rice hulls. Depending on the size/shape of your bag and mash tun vessel, the grain can be much more compacted together than in a regular loose mash.

For me I don’t weigh it or measure, it’s all just by feel of the mash thickness. It’s all subjective that way. Do whatever you’re comfortable with.

:mug:

This is real, when I do my 12 gal BIAB with a sticky recipe, I just add 1.5-2 lbs of rice hulls.

:

Ok, this is really what confuses me. So when I measure out 2 lbs of rice hulls they equal almost half the size of a 10 lb grain bill.

I'm guessing these compact but I think going to start with 1/2 a pound in my first batch.

I use a 16 gal kettle and a 30x36” brew bag so I don’t have to worry. As long as your recipe is a moderate gravity and you’re not already pushing your vessel’s capacity, then the rice hulls you’re adding should be fine.

I use 1/4 pound rice hulls in all my 5 gallon batches and that seems to be more than enough, even on the stickier mashes. I mash in a 10 gallon igloo round cooler, fly sparge. Haven't had a stuck mash/sparge yet.

No worries. Rice hulls do not require any proportional accuracy. They're just there to allow flow, not mess with your recipe.
I use them in my rye malt recipes - 1 lb. for a 10 G batch / .5 lb. for a 5 G batch.

Back