Rhubarb Basil Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simwaves1

Reaction score
Okay, so I was pretty hesitant about this recipe from The Artisan Soda Workshop, but since it seemed so prominent in the book, I decided to try it out. Turns out, it's pretty good. The rhubarb gives just the right amount of tartness and the taste of the basil is really nice. Very refreshing, light, good summer drink (just about all year where I'm at).

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393375021.866527.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

4 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
8-10 large basil leaves
3/4 cup raw cane sugar
1 cup water

Combined all ingredients into a pot and simmered for 20 minutes. Cooled and strained the syrup and added it to 6 more cups of water. Force carb'ed to ~35 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a mad craving for rhubarb anything recently... there is essentially no fresh or anything avail or shippable to here (special circumstances). Amazon will ship a giant can of stalks meant for winemakers at a high cost. More affordable is a dozen quarts of Amish strawb-rhub pie filling which I got, but probably can't even be converted to a soda syrup due to containing overwhelming amounts of thickener (corn starch?).

Hmm. Haven't made my own soda yet but this seems like the one to start at.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I had a mad craving for rhubarb anything recently... there is essentially no fresh or anything avail or shippable to here (special circumstances). Amazon will ship a giant can of stalks meant for winemakers at a high cost. More affordable is a dozen quarts of Amish strawb-rhub pie filling which I got, but probably can't even be converted to a soda syrup due to containing overwhelming amounts of thickener (corn starch?).

Stuff used to grow wild all around us when I was a kid. It was a weed, really. Mom made pies with it.

Probably, you could find tons of this stuff at farmer's markets. Less so at the big groceries.

Back