Rhizomes Ordered! Soil Prep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polkahero

Reaction score
Just ordered 3 varieties: Hallertau, Cascade, and Centennial. I've got a spot next to our silo (60 feet tall!) that gets ample sunshine all picked out, now what do I have to do to prepare the soil? Do I need to till, add water to get the proper moisture content, etc? How close together should I plant the three rhizomes? Also, how close to the silo's foundation can I plant them? Any fertilizer that is recommended? Thanks for any tips/tricks to get my new crop off to a great start!

I would dig up a nice hole at least 1'x1'x1' where the rhizomes will go and fill it with a compost\top soil mixture (the top soil you just dug out of the hole) and build up a nice mound a few inches above the ground. Then plant the rhizome a couple inches deep and give it a nice, deep watering. In a few weeks give it some more compost or I prefer some basic fert (12-12-12 or 10-10-10) when things start growing.

Plant different varieties at least 7-8' apart. I dont think it matters how far from a foundation you go. They wont penetrate...

Thanks for the replies; hopefully the suckers start coming up in the creek that runs through our field. These would make excellent compost/fertilizer!

Latest posts

Back