Rhizomes in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippingainteasy

Reaction score
I've had some rhizomes in my fridge for about 4 months. Should I try to plant them or toss them? I got busy with other things and forgot all about them.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Go for it and don't overwater them, just keep from TOTALLY drying out. One tip would be to plant vertically with the upper set of buds right at the soil surface. This will leave a portion of the rhizome poking out of the ground but you can always mound some compost or soil on it once it gets going. From my experience, planting like this seems to trigger some mechanism in the rhizome that helps induce growth a little quicker. I've only done it two times in the past few years but each time they began popping within a week or so, much quicker than if they were buried totally. Let us know & Hoppy Trails!

I kept some rhizomes in the fridge for about 3 months, and they grew just fine. They even started to sprout a bit. Like B-Hoppy said, make sure they stay moist and don't dry out.

I planted a few after about 4 months in the fridge, and they're growing fine. Just make sure you don't drown them or dry them.

I'm not sure yet. I Live in ohio so it gets cold I could leave them in the garage or trim them down and take them in my basement. What do you think is the best idea

I'm up in NEOhio and know they'll survive the winter in 5 gal buckets. For small pots like that, why don't you just bury the whole pot and add a little mulch or compost or whatever you have for the winter. If you bring them indoors or even in a garage, you always run the risk of how much water to add to keep them from desiccating or possibly drowning them while leaving them buried outside, Ma Nature knows what they need. Or, actually just take them out of the pots and plant them in some temporary spots. Once spring comes you can dig them up and move to permanent locations, have done this many times.

Latest posts

Back