Revive Temperature Sensor Probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhengisT

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I finally started lagering. Picked up a home built temperature controller from Risendeadbrewing.com and it was working great until the probe got a little wet.

I emailed the owner because I didn't know what the HHH code meant, he said it means the temp probe shorted. He didn't know that it wouldn't tolerate water either.

I'm a little less than a week into an IPL that's fermenting and these probes are everywhere online, but I was hoping to find one locally. I've tried Home Depot, Radioshack, Marvac electronics. Having no luck. Anybody ever successfully fix one of these or know where I can get one from a store chain?

You need an NTC probe that reads 10K ohms within a couple of degrees of 77°F with a B3435 slope. Those are the specs for the MH1210 probes (the MH1210 is what risendead sells - regardless of the pictures on the web site showing an STC-1000).

Grainger wants $19 for some kind of NTC probe - but there's nothing to indicate if it is 10K @ anything close to 77°F, nor if it is a B3435 type. And the linked catalog page doesn't even list the probe. AND while the picture shows three probes, I'd bet a sixer that they actually provide only one probe for that $19. Don't waste your money and time on Grainger.

Otoh, I recently purchased three NTC 10K B3435 probes from here. $14 and free shipping for three probes that match the specs for the MH1210, and one has running my keezer for a couple of weeks. Works perfectly once the MH1210 is calibrated to the probe (a necessary step any time you change a probe, imo).

Finally, fwiw, while the description on the ebay page says the packet is shipped from China, mine arrived within a few days and appeared to have originated Stateside...

Cheers!

You need an NTC probe that reads 10K ohms within a couple of degrees of 77°F with a B3435 slope. Those are the specs for the MH1210 probes (the MH1210 is what risendead sells - regardless of the pictures on the web site showing an STC-1000).

Grainger wants $19 for some kind of NTC probe - but there's nothing to indicate if it is 10K @ anything close to 77°F, nor if it is a B3435 type. And the linked catalog page doesn't even list the probe. AND while the picture shows three probes, I'd bet a sixer that they actually provide only one probe for that $19. Don't waste your money and time on Grainger.

Otoh, I recently purchased three NTC 10K B3435 probes from here. $14 and free shipping for three probes that match the specs for the MH1210, and one has running my keezer for a couple of weeks. Works perfectly once the MH1210 is calibrated to the probe (a necessary step any time you change a probe, imo).

Finally, fwiw, while the description on the ebay page says the packet is shipped from China, mine arrived within a few days and appeared to have originated Stateside...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info Trippr, I just received 3 replacement probes for my MH1210 today. I ordered from the same seller on ebay that you did. It took 12 days and the shipment originated from China. They work perfect. :mug:

Back