Reviewing for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poopsmitherson

Reaction score
Part of achieving my goal (improving this recipe by only brewing iterations of the same beer all year) is tasting commercial examples and trying to dissect what I like and/or dislike about that beer. Then comes the tricky part of determining how to bring the flavors I like into my own brew. This post tries to answer the question, where exactly are these flavors coming from?

https://brewublog.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/reviewing-dreamchasers-red-rider/

Read your blog post. I've never tried this beer, but here's some thoughts:

* In addition to grain bill, remember that water profile and mash temp/schedule will have significant impacts on perceived flavors

* FWIW, I brew a lot with Brewer's Gold hops because my two BG plants are extremely productive, have a relatively short shelf-life, and I hate to waste them. Using BG as a Mash/FWH/Late-Boil hop gives a nice dried fruit/prune/fig flavor.

* Chocolate malt can be added late in the mash (perhaps at mash-out or right before sparging) for color enhancement and milder non-roasty flavors. Given the beer has Crystal 40 and 120, I suspect the chocolate malt additions are minor and only for a little color and flavor.

Good luck figuring out the combination to this beer!

Read your blog post. I've never tried this beer, but here's some thoughts:

* In addition to grain bill, remember that water profile and mash temp/schedule will have significant impacts on perceived flavors

* FWIW, I brew a lot with Brewer's Gold hops because my two BG plants are extremely productive, have a relatively short shelf-life, and I hate to waste them. Using BG as a Mash/FWH/Late-Boil hop gives a nice dried fruit/prune/fig flavor.

* Chocolate malt can be added late in the mash (perhaps at mash-out or right before sparging) for color enhancement and milder non-roasty flavors. Given the beer has Crystal 40 and 120, I suspect the chocolate malt additions are minor and only for a little color and flavor.

Good luck figuring out the combination to this beer!

I have never heard this about brewer's gold before. I'll have to look more into this. I love that I've heard at least five different suggestions for getting this flavor since I started this blog. It really shows that there are so many ways to achieve a goal in brewing, and I think that's awesome. I appreciate the input and will bring it into consideration as I make future iterations of my recipe.

Also, the chocolate, as you suspected, is a fairly small amount. But then again, most of the other specialty grains in the beer are used pretty sparingly. There's just a bunch of them.

Latest posts

Back