Review my NE IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im going to brew my first NE IPA and ive been trying to do a lot of research but ran into a small snag and looking for some general advice on the recipe. I got it out of the Brew Your Own magazine but needed to make a couple of tweaks based on whats around me. In addition, i haven't brewed anything in 6 months so feeling a touch rusty and want to make sure ive got all my boxes checked for this weekend.

Recipe:
(Makes 5.5 gallons into fermenter)
SG: 1.061
FG: 1.014
IBU: 75

Based on Tree House Brewing Julius

Grain:
11 lbs Hugh Baird Maris Otter
1 lb 5 oz Flaked Oats (Homebrew shop didnt have 1 LB of oat malt so increased the Flaked Oats)
5 oz Honey Malt
5 oz Carapils
8 oz Turbinado Sugar
Question: I have not used Turdinado Sugar before. Any advice around using it? Says to add during last 15 minutes but read that its really just raw sugar.

Boil/End of Boil Hops:
2 oz Citra Hops
2 oz Mosaic Hops
1 oz Simcoe
Question 1: I dont have 8 oz of "HopShot" to use, so hearing that maybe I need to add Magnum hops to the boil to substitute. Is Magnum a good substitute?
Question 2: For the Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe - I hear adding in at last 5 min of boil OR adding in at wort being 170 degrees during cool down - Suggestions on what I should do with this recipe?

Dry Hopping:
2.5 oz Citra Hops
2 oz Mosaic Hops
1.5 oz Simcoe
Question: I read a suggestion to do half of it on day 2-3 of fermentation, and then the other half in the keg. Is that a good approach?

Yeast:
Didnt have a lot of the recommended ones, but ended up with a local yeast called Imperial Yeast Ale Juice. Was told it was a similar yeast that is used for this style.

If I left anything out, please let me know. Thanks for the advice!

Question[0]:I have not used Turdinado Sugar before. Any advice around using it? Says to add during last 15 minutes but read that its really just raw sugar.

Well, maybe "less refined" sugar. In any case, adding granulated sugars or honey to the boil kettle is best done at flameout. That way it won't affect hop AA utilization (which runs inverse to wort gravity) and there's no chance of scorching it when it lands on the kettle bottom. Be sure to give the wort a good stir to dissolve it.

Question 1: I dont have 8 oz of "HopShot" to use, so hearing that maybe I need to add Magnum hops to the boil to substitute. Is Magnum a good substitute?

Boil IBUs are IBUs regardless. I used a HopShot once then realized I was paying hella money for the IBU equivalent of an ounce of CTZ, so that was that for the HopShots. Magnum is an excellent bittering agent as there's not a lot of character to it.

Question 2: For the Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe - I hear adding in at last 5 min of boil OR adding in at wort being 170 degrees during cool down - Suggestions on what I should do with this recipe?

"Why Not Both" :D

This is the hop schedule for 10 gallons of the Julius clone I'm in love with:
1oz CTZ/Columbus at 60
1 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe at 5
2 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe whirlpool at 170°F for 30 minutes
then, in the fermentor:
2 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe 48 hours after a healthy pitch
2 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe 4 days later
Cold crash 4 days after that. then keg 2 days later

I have used Fermentis US-05, Imperial A04/Conan, WY1318, and Imperial A38/Juice so far.
US-05 is ok but leaves it a bit too dry, Conan does the same and can contribute a peach note that annoys me, 1318 is about the perfect strain imo, and my first Juice batch is only a few days into carbonation so I can't vouch for it - but a lot of folks do like it and it may be very similar to 1318 wrt attenuation...

Cheers!

ps: I did a 10 gallon batch 10 days ago keeping everything the same as the Julius recipe except sub'ing Chinook (@60), Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Well, maybe "less refined" sugar. In any case, adding granulated sugars or honey to the boil kettle is best done at flameout. That way it won't affect hop AA utilization (which runs inverse to wort gravity) and there's no chance of scorching it when it lands on the kettle bottom. Be sure to give the wort a good stir to dissolve it.

Boil IBUs are IBUs regardless. I used a HopShot once then realized I was paying hella money for the IBU equivalent of an ounce of CTZ, so that was that for the HopShots. Magnum is an excellent bittering agent as there's not a lot of character to it.

"Why Not Both" :D

This is the hop schedule for 10 gallons of the Julius clone I'm in love with:
1oz CTZ/Columbus at 60
1 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe at 5
2 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe whirlpool at 170°F for 30 minutes
then, in the fermentor:
2 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe 48 hours after a healthy pitch
2 oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe 4 days later
Cold crash 4 days after that. then keg 2 days later

I have used Fermentis US-05, Imperial A04/Conan, WY1318, and Imperial A38/Juice so far.
US-05 is ok but leaves it a bit too dry, Conan does the same and can contribute a peach note that annoys me, 1318 is about the perfect strain imo, and my first Juice batch is only a few days into carbonation so I can't vouch for it - but a lot of folks do like it and it may be very similar to 1318 wrt attenuation...

Cheers!

ps: I did a 10 gallon batch 10 days ago keeping everything the same as the Julius recipe except sub'ing Chinook (@60), Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial. Fingers crossed...

What is your IBU of your 10 gallon batch that you gave the hop schedule for? I cut yours in half and im getting about 51 IBU. Is that right? I haven't done a NE IPA yet, and I see IBU all over the board from like 30-80.

For the mash salts I shoot for Calcium:Chloride:Sulfate:Sodium = 100:150:75:10, and aim for a room temp mash pH of 5.4.
For the temperature profile I do a single sacc rest at 152° for 45 minutes then ramp up to mash out at 170° before fly sparging.

I know some folks run the mash a bit warmer - 156°F or so - for higher body. But there's a balance between grain bill/mash profile/yeast strain and to an extent one can tweak one parameter and adjust the others to pretty much end up in the same place. As I've narrowed my neipa yeast selection to wy1318/london3 and a38/juice which are a bit less attenuative than the a04/conan and us-05/chico I tried with this style, I've settled on that 152°F and the desired body is there...

Cheers!

I dont know what the others here think, but adding simple sugars to an NEIPA will definitely boost alcohol without adding body, which will detract from the juicy, smooth hop flavor and can make it taste hot. I prefer to keep my NEIPA below 7% alcohol, otherwise the hop flavor get masked by the alcohol.

I dont know what the others here think, but adding simple sugars to an NEIPA will definitely boost alcohol without adding body, which will detract from the juicy, smooth hop flavor and can make it taste hot. I prefer to keep my NEIPA below 7% alcohol, otherwise the hop flavor get masked by the alcohol.

Agree with SouthPhilly...even though they won the Super Bowl over my Patriots! ;) Simple sugars are something you would see in a DIPA, no need at all for them in a NEIPA.

Back