Reusing Yeast from Keg Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete20

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has experience reusing yeast at the bottom of a corny keg by pouring new wort directly on top of it?

Because I ferment right in my kegs, I'd like to take a recently kicked kicked keg and refill it with fresh new wort (of the same or similar style beer). I always rack to secondary and then a serving keg so there isn't a huge yeast cake at the bottom but seems like it could be enough to do the job.

Would not sanitizing the old keg be a problem, or can I assume it would be clean already?

Although I have not done this with Kegs it is basically just like racking on to a cake of yeast at the bottom of any fermenter. If you are doing this you don't sanitize the container as that would kill the yeast. As you are not sanitizing it is not a good practice as you are asking for trouble. The theory is that the first use of the yeast was in a sanitary state so you don't have to worry about the second one going in on top however you could have a very small number of nasties that then could try to compete for your beer.

Countering the nasties is the fact you have massively over pitched your yeast and hence the flavor profile will be off slightly.

If you want to save the yeast you will have to wash it, check out the sticky about it at the top of the forum page.

Clem

Latest posts

Back