Reusing roselare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
So I brewed a Flemish red, fermented and will be transferring it to secondary and dumping another wort on it. I did this a little backwards, dumping a golden ale on the Flemish red yeast cake so it will definitely affect color. Awhile ago I read that you shouldn't harvest or wash Wyeast's Roselare blend because it will change the proportions of bugs. Is there any truth to this and will it make that much of a difference?

I read that you shouldn't harvest or wash Wyeast's Roselare blend because it will change the proportions of bugs.

I don't think the general consensus is that you "shouldn't", but it absolutely will change the proportion of bugs - whether or not you like the new proportion is subjective. In general, successive repitches will result in higher acidity. Some people (myself included) go for that intentionally.

I don't think the general consensus is that you "shouldn't", but it absolutely will change the proportion of bugs - whether or not you like the new proportion is subjective. In general, successive repitches will result in higher acidity. Some people (myself included) go for that intentionally.

Yea I definitely like a mouth Pickering sour. So basically repitching = more sour or it could make it more sour?

I've had the opposite effect on my re-pitched sour blends. ECY20 (obviously not Roselare), which i've used 2nd generation in 2 cases now has produced much less sour beer & mead. However I like the complexity more the 2nd time around in that particular blend.

I say re-pitch and if you don't like it you can always blend it with something else.

I've had the opposite effect on my re-pitched sour blends. ECY20 (obviously not Roselare), which i've used 2nd generation in 2 cases now has produced much less sour beer & mead. However I like the complexity more the 2nd time around in that particular blend.

I say re-pitch and if you don't like it you can always blend it with something else.

Yea repitched on it so we'll see. Either way I'm sure it will turn out fine even if it's not as sour as I'd like

Back