Reusing a skanky grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I forgot about my grain bag and its been sitting outside in the rain/sun/heat.The grain is moldy with bugs crawling through it It also smells like ass..Think if I dumped the grain washed it and boiled it I could use it again?..I know there cheap but if I could use it again why not.

20160709_185646_resized.jpg

Sure, go for it! After you thoroughly cleaned out, wash in hot water & Oxyclean, then boil it. I think you'll find it's just fine to use again, and whatever little nasties were there are probably long dead and gone. I'd recommend not using liquid bleach as I think it might damage the voile fabric since much of it these days is synthetic.

Being used before the boil I don't see why not...
Just wash it, rinse it and that's it.
After a couple of user you won't tell...

Empty, bulk rinse with hose and give it a soak in Oxyclean. Launder in machine. Sanitize. Air dry. give it the sniff test. or just buy a new one. I'd personally get a new one, but if you can get it clean again, and sanitize it, then why not.

Even after thorough cleaning, washing and boiling, there's a (small) chance some mold spores are still lingering around in the mesh.

If you have a pressure cooker or even better, a pressure canner, autoclave the cleaned bag for 10-15 minutes at 250°F, to eradicate every possible organism. Just to be sure.

Now that maybe overkill, a good boil with PBW maybe sufficient too. Perhaps followed by a Starsan soak.

Being used before the boil I don't see why not...
Just wash it, rinse it and that's it.
After a couple of user you won't tell...

I dunno about this... Not taking some measure to sanitize... Even before the boil, bacteria and mold can contribute off flavor compounds to your finished beer.

I use one of those bags for hops and occasionally I will forget and do the same, I wash it really good with some dish soap rinse really well and throw it in the washing machine, not the dryer sometimes it will get ruined. And it will come out looking brand new.

After a good clean, a mash that will pasteurize it, and the wort being boiled, I highly doubt there will be any issue whatsoever. I'm terrible about dealing with my grain bag in a timely fashion and my beer turns out just fine.

Just throw that bag in the trash Jonny and order a couple more, I'll give ya a helluva rate...

J/k you should be able to clean it well if you remember to :)
Cheers
Thanks Wilser,I know you would.I still have 2 more of your grain bags unused.I'll burn those up first...Why am I attached to my grain bag??? I should have just tossed it to begin with :smack:

Back