Retro-nasal off flavour perception on recent brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi, I recently brew a 1.050 american pale, with a moderate malt profile and Simcoe, Centennial and Crystal hops (bittering, flameout and dry hop additions).
The beer was carbonated in the bottle, finished at 1.011 and it is quite nice and easy to drink at 7 weeks from brew day.

I do not smell or taste any off-flavour when the beer is poured and drank however, once I have finished taking a good sip, I perceive a slightly metallic-like flavour from the CO2 climbing back through the back of my nose.

Is this a definitive off-flavour? if so what could have caused it?

thanks
p_p

In my experience, metallic off flavors are caused by metals leaching into your beer during the brewing process.

Are you using any non-stainless steel metal components in your brewery?

In my experience, metallic off flavors are caused by metals leaching into your beer during the brewing process.

Are you using any non-stainless steel metal components in your brewery?

There isn't any non-stainless metal apart from a copper washer supporting the kettle heating element. The bottle caps are in good shape too. Plus, I imagine I should be able to taste metal contamination ... but this is something that comes back through the nose and it is quite subtle, so far nobody has pointed it out to me.

I have not changed or modified my equipment in a while and other pale beers have not suffer from this.

So what is different? First time using wlp 007 (started it at 17c and up to 20c after 2 days). First time using Crystal, Simcoe and Centennial.

I get that taste when I use Centennial Hops. Specifically, the Centennial Blonde recipe on this site. I still make and drink it though.

It may be a genetic thing, because other people don't get the same reaction to it. I'm not sure that helps you, but at least you know you're not alone.

I get that taste when I use Centennial Hops. Specifically, the Centennial Blonde recipe on this site. I still make and drink it though.

It may be a genetic thing, because other people don't get the same reaction to it. I'm not sure that helps you, but at least you know you're not alone.

It does help! Thank you.
I'll pay special attention next time I use Centennial to confirm this is where this perceived flavour comes from.

Latest posts

Back