retire a Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
When do you retire a Better Bottle ? ,The last batch came out with a sour note
to it,The offending bottle has been washed twice now with oxy and rinsed with hydrogen peroxide and the wife said she still smells a hint of vinegar, is it time
to replace it ? (I have no problem doing so)

I don't know the answer to that. I can tell you that I've been using my Better-Bottles for almost 7 years now, and have had dozens upon dozens of batches through them without a single bad batch. Bad meaning infection, not that I don't occasionally brew a bad beer, lol! My procedure to clean them has been the same since day one. Dump the trub, rinse out with water until all of the loose stuff is out. Overnight soak in hot PBW solution, filled to the top, and then a thorough rinse and allow to dry before putting them away. I've never experienced any lingering odors after doing this. On brew day, they get a swirl of Star San to coat all surfaces and then it's ready for use.

I don't know the answer to that. I can tell you that I've been using my Better-Bottles for almost 7 years now, and have had dozens upon dozens of batches through them without a single bad batch. Bad meaning infection, not that I don't occasionally brew a bad beer, lol! My procedure to clean them has been the same since day one. Dump the trub, rinse out with water until all of the loose stuff is out. Overnight soak in hot PBW solution, filled to the top, and then a thorough rinse and allow to dry before putting them away. I've never experienced any lingering odors after doing this. On brew day, they get a swirl of Star San to coat all surfaces and then it's ready for use.

That's pretty much my way of cleaning them to except with oxy and a rinse
before air drying upside down.

That's pretty much my way of cleaning them to except with oxy and a rinse
before air drying upside down.

Believe it or not, but they dry MUCH faster if left upright, or on their side. I'd still have water droplets in them days later when I used to dry them inverted. After reading on Better-bottle's website to dry them on their side, they are dry after a day.

Glass is hydrophilic, so water forms a film on the surface and well-cleaned glass carboys may appear to drain dry even though they are not actually dry. BetterBottle carboys are hydrophobic, so small droplets of water will remain on their surfaces when the final rinse water is drained out. If a carboy is to be used immediately, these droplets of water will not be a problem. If a carboy is to be stored, shake it a little to remove some of the residual droplets and set the carboy on its side in a clean, dry area. BetterBottle carboys tend to dry out more quickly when they are placed on their sides than when they are inverted on the sort of stand that is used for draining glass carboys.

Back