Restocked on ec1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
I picked up some more yeast today to keep some in inventory. At 65 cents per packet I picked up four, and maybe should have gotten more. At that price I'm not ever going to bother harvesting that strain other than to pitch onto a yeast cake from a previous batch.

It's a great price and a very reliable yeast but it just strips all the flavor and sweetness from cider. I'll stick with Ale yeast.

Sweetness yes, flavour, I'm going to disagree. but even if I didn't, I have to keep in as part of the rotation with my other yeasts, because I just picked up a BOS with my ec1118 cider. So I have to keep that in rotation from now until forever, have to chase that batch.

edit isn't working for me.

*edit* maybe there's something in my process that lets ec1118 work for me, I dunno.

Do you control fermentation temps, phug? I've read that EC-1118 works well on cider if you keep it cool.

Control is a strong word. I ferment at ambient basement temps wich for me range from 55-65 depending on the season. That may have something to do with it, as it's cool enough that ec1118 doesn't get out of hand.

1118 works great for cider, if ya enjoy dry cider....my Mrs and I do enjoy dry ....ferments crisp and dry, plenty of life left to bottle carb...plenty of apple flavor, just no sweetness. I need to free up a fermentor, as I need to do another run of cider - cider is my go-to in between meads, but am tied up with 25 gallons of mead in bulk aging...perhaps time to invest in at least another brew bucket? I honestly think 1118 gets a bum rap about "stripping flavor"...the flavor is there, the sugar is gone, daddy, gone :cool:

Back