Resealing DME Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Has anyone vacuum sealed an opened DME bag?

I recently had an issue with the last of a 1 lb bag solidifying. It was kept in my fermentation chamber, which I’ve done for years without major issues. My current bag is in the freezer, but I don’t have a lot of space and question a clamp on the bag if someone were to carelessly go through that shelf. I wondered about vacuum sealing but am not sure it works like that and won’t suck the extract into the workings and cause an issue down the road.

I don’t vacuum seal them, but I get out as much air as possible by hand and heat seal it shut. It’s worked well and kept it fresh for future brews.

Has anyone vacuum sealed an opened DME bag?

I recently had an issue with the last of a 1 lb bag solidifying. It was kept in my fermentation chamber, which I’ve done for years without major issues. My current bag is in the freezer, but I don’t have a lot of space and question a clamp on the bag if someone were to carelessly go through that shelf. I wondered about vacuum sealing but am not sure it works like that and won’t suck the extract into the workings and cause an issue down the road.
Yes

Thanks! I think I’ll try just heat sealing it with most of the air squeezed out.

I bought 2 breakfast cereal tupperware containers from Amazon for my DME. Air tight and its stayed nice and powdery.

I used to use a ceramic container with the snap down lid with a gasket and those eventually clumped a bit.

Maybe it’s the higher humidity levels in central Texas?

Seal all you want, but every use, every time you open, you let humidity in so it adds up.
I buy 3# bags and only use 150-170gm/starter, so I open and close several times over the life of a 3# bag, typically 6-8 months. I just roll it closed IMMEDIATELY after using, kepping it open as little as possible, clip the rolled edge with a binder clip, put the whole thing in a 1gal Ziploc bag, keep it in the basement, ambient 60-70°F, without issue.

Now, getting it to pour nicely into a bowl while weighing 150-170gm, without poofing sticky messy ick all over the counter, that is another story. That stuff's fit only for heffalumps and woozles.

Seal all you want, but every use, every time you open, you let humidity in so it adds up.
I buy 3# bags and only use 150-170gm/starter, so I open and close several times over the life of a 3# bag, typically 6-8 months. I just roll it closed IMMEDIATELY after using, kepping it open as little as possible, clip the rolled edge with a binder clip, put the whole thing in a 1gal Ziploc bag, keep it in the basement, ambient 60-70°F, without issue.

Now, getting it to pour nicely into a bowl while weighing 150-170gm, without poofing sticky messy ick all over the counter, that is another story. That stuff's fit only for heffalumps and woozles.

I use a similar amount (6 oz for a 1.5 qt starter - 1 qt for the beer and 1/2 qt for the jar for keeping).

The mess seems inevitable it would seem. And what a mess if it isn’t wiped up soon afterwards!

This may be weird, but I keep mine in the original 1lb bag then place in a gallon zip lock bag. I zip it 90% closed and press the air out. Then I take that little opening that’s left and pinch it open and suck the air out through my mouth. I do this for hops as well. As long as I don’t go from “suck to blow” I feel pretty comfortable with this process

I use a similar amount (6 oz for a 1.5 qt starter - 1 qt for the beer and 1/2 qt for the jar for keeping).

The mess seems inevitable it would seem. And what a mess if it isn’t wiped up soon afterwards!

There's a nice metric trick for making starters

100g DME per 1 liter of starter

2 liter starter = 200 g DME - works great

I buy it 50lbs at a time, sits in a tote from Walmark no problems keep it in my office. If you live in a dank hole you could always go get closet dehumidifiers the sell those at Homedeepthroat or Blowe's

This may be weird, but I keep mine in the original 1lb bag then place in a gallon zip lock bag. I zip it 90% closed and press the air out. Then I take that little opening that’s left and pinch it open and suck the air out through my mouth. I do this for hops as well. As long as I don’t go from “suck to blow” I feel pretty comfortable with this process

This is how I store my DME(original bag inside big zip lock), and keep it in my ferm chamber. It's been a little over a year and mine is holding up ok, although I can tell it is absorbing a little moisture. Not sure if it would make it 2 years but it should be gone by then.

I buy 3 lb bags. Clip a corner just enough to pour. Then roll it up and close with a clothespin. Store it in a plastic container meant for dry goods. No problems.

not sure if it's relevant...but when i get a hard tupperware jug of brown sugar, i soak a paper napkin and squeeze it dry, and stick it in the container to get it loose again.....

I don't seal the original bag, but I do use the pint bags for the food sealer and throw them in the freezer until needed. I pre-measure for different starters I think I might use. The DME is so fine it is like sealing soup, some of it comes out the top when vacuuming. I have to clean the sealer thing each time but it is worth it.

Attachments

• 20190619_191558.jpg
    20190619_191558.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 24
I sometimes buy one pound bags, but usually 3 pounders. And I don't use it very much. I cut the entire top off the bag when I open it. I take out what I need and roll the top down and clip it with a clothespin. I keep the closed bag in my humid basement. It does get hard eventually (obligatory "that's what she said") but not so bad that I can't get what I need next time, some of it will just be chunks. And that's a bag that's been open for a year.

I keep a pound or two of DME for starters and store in the fridge in one of those plastic jars you can get for a few bucks at Walmart.

View attachment 631986

I might end up using the left over trail mix container I have from Costco. Looks about the same size as that one. I live in Denver so I have no issues with the DME getting clumpy from moisture. It sure dose get dusty though

This is how I store my DME(original bag inside big zip lock), and keep it in my ferm chamber. It's been a little over a year and mine is holding up ok, although I can tell it is absorbing a little moisture. Not sure if it would make it 2 years but it should be gone by then.

I would assume it’s fine

I don't seal the original bag, but I do use the pint bags for the food sealer and throw them in the freezer until needed. I pre-measure for different starters I think I might use. The DME is so fine it is like sealing soup, some of it comes out the top when vacuuming. I have to clean the sealer thing each time but it is worth it.

Premeasuring for starters sounds like a good idea. It’s almost always for starters (6 oz usually), except for the barleywine I’ll be doing next. If I’m doing a strong beer I can’t the gravity high enough with (I can’t handle more than 12 lbs of grain) I usually use LME.

*Update*

I used my opened DME that I put in the freezer to make 2 starters today and found that the powdery mess you get when you pour was nonexistent. Nice bonus!

Back