rescuing flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfatal

Reaction score
I've completed my first brew and have learnt loads which should help my second attempt!

Some details:

Used a standard beginners kit for an english bitter
Think I probably transferred it from the primary vessel to a keg too early (after a week)
When siphoning it I left behind the bottom couple of pints - I guess this got rid of sediment but also the left over yeast
I put sugar into the keg but didn't see any evidence of carbonation

Beer now tastes great but is completely flat
I expect I have a leak in the keg so all the gas escaped

Question is how do I rescue this?
Could I add more yeast and sugar to carbonate and if so should this be to the keg again or shoukd I bottle? How much if each should I add?
Thanks

Carbing a keg with sugar can take at least 3 weeks. How long has it been since you kegged the beer?

Good news is that if the keg is under constant pressure from you CO2, it will eventually carb up.

When you pull the pin on top of the keg, does it make the sound of air escaping?

Do you see any little bubbles in the beer line? If so,that could indicate a slight leak in the line and air is getting into the line, which could be making it flat.

How fast is the beer coming out of the tap? Is it a nice normal pace like a bar would have? Is it shooting out super fast or is it just drizzling out?

Ive had it in the keg for 3 weeks now.

The keg doesnt have a pin at the top - its a 2 inch or so screw lid with a metal fitting for a gas cannister. The kit came with a small co2 can to screw into this if the beer stopped flowing half way through drinking. My gut feel is that the gas has all escaped through this though Im also not convinced there was much action going on since I transferred to the keg - should I expect bubbles throughout the liquid at this stage?

The beer flows from the tap at a regular rate. I doint have a beer line attached - just a tap a couple inches off the base of the keg.

U should certainly have some bubbles after3 weeks. Have you tried spraying sanitizer on all of the connections and watching to see if anything bubbles, that would indicate a leak if there was any co2 in the keg. Similar to putting soap on a tire to identify a leak

If I'm understanding this correctly it sounds like your "keg" is one of those small portable ones with a cO2 cartridge for dispensing?

If that is true then that set up is not really designed to force carbonate your beer like a regular keg set set up, only for portable use and dispensing.

Just tried the spray trick but no sign of bubbles. I think this would have been a better test a few weeks ago as I expect the air pressure inside the keg is the same as outside it. After 3 weeks is it still likely to produce new co2 or have I missed my chance now?

Duboman you are correct - this all came in an" all u need beginnersbrew kit" I think next time I will use bottles.

I guess my question is whether I cando anything more to make the beer more drinkable? Is it possible to transfer some into bottles with a bit more yeast to kick off a second ferment to carbonate a bit?

bigfatal said:
Duboman you are correct - this all came in an" all u need beginnersbrew kit" I think next time I will use bottles.

I guess my question is whether I cando anything more to make the beer more drinkable? Is it possible to transfer some into bottles with a bit more yeast to kick off a second ferment to carbonate a bit?

If the mini keg seals completely you can try and add a little priming sugar to restart fermentation. Seal up again and let it sit for a couple weeks to naturally carbonate.

Do not transfer as the risk of oxidation is too great at this point-good luck!

Latest posts

Back