Required seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm_Meads

Reaction score
Now please don't roast me for this, but I bought a second hand pressure barrel. I started my first home brew, 5 gallons of Thirsty Devil Red Ale from a kit my wife got me for valentines day. The beer has finished fermenting and today I went to clean and sterilise my pressure barrel. Now I'm not sure if I can actually keg it as it looks like a seal is gone. I have three seals, one from the inside of the screw on top, one from the tap, and a smaller black one that's broken. It's a Hambleton Bard S30 valve. I should have checked all seals before starting my beer, but now it's an emergency. No one likes to dump 5 gallons do they?

Regardless of what happens, there'll be some learning going on here, and that's always a good thing.

Can you show a pic or two of what you have?

Do you have CO2 available such that you can pressure test the vessel?

If your beer is still in the fermenter, it can stand a few more days while you figure this out. But the key is pressure-testing it. Perhaps you can take it to the local stores and see if they have a seal that would fit.

A picture or two is going to be very helpful here.

I've got some little bulbs to test with yes, but when I try to upload a picture it tells me it's to large to upload. The valve has the two sleeve type seals on the outer and the inner. The big one for the inside top of lid, but I have a smaller broken seal which I'm unsure as to the use for that one. Sadly my nearest home brew shop is a 2hr drive away and I don't drive.

Latest posts

Back